Chapter 22: Pinwheeling Chase

"What's it say?" I asked Robert as the three of us strolled down the sidewalk to the Nacrene Museum. It was the morning after the festival and the murder. While most of the stands and tents had been taken down, the area where the man had died was under strict police supervision. As we passed, I could see Officer Jenny ordering her officers while several Growlithes and Herdiers sniffed around the area. From here I could still see the blood staining the street.

Robert enlarged his screen as he read the news article. "Says here the guy's name was Carlos Herz. It says he was a lawyer. But that's all it says. Just that the investigation is still ongoing." He lowered his voice to a whisper. "You know why she would kill him?"

Last night when we had gotten back to our room in the Pokemon Center, I told them what I had seen. This had clearly been the doing of the Executioners. I had only seen Spirit and her Sceptile there, but if they were there, then Spicy and Sage weren't far behind. 

"I don't know," I shook my head. "But whatever they're doing, it's because it's a job. Someone hired them to kill that man."

"So we should figure out why exactly he had to die," Alex put in. "If he's a lawyer, there should be good information about him on the web."

"I'll get on that," Robert said. "That is, if Zeno doesn't mind if I don't watch his battle."

"Go right ahead," I shrugged as we turned and began walking up the Museum steps. "It shouldn't prove to be too difficu-!"

CRASH

The large front doors of the Museum slammed open and thick gray smoke poured out, quickly engulfing us.

"What's-" Alex coughed. "The big idea!?"

I couldn't see much, but I saw the shadows of several people run by me. I jerked to one side as one of them glanced my shoulder. Catching myself before I hit my head, I tumbled back down the steps where the smoke was thinner. I ran onto the street to see the backs of several figures rushing down the street towards Pinwheel Forest in the distance. I heard Officer Jenny yell and the group had to swerve to avoid the police, narrowly dropping whatever they were holding as a group. The police and their Pokemon went to give chase, but a combined attack from an Unfezant, Liepard, and Palpitoad forced them to retreat.

"Are they-!" Robert coughed as he and Alex joined me on the street. 

"Team Plasma," I nodded, watching as their robes disappeared behind the corner at the end of the road.

"Dang it!" Lenora cried out as she stormed out of the Museum, eyes narrowed. "Where'd they go!?"

Alex pointed. "Looks like they went towards Pinwheel Forest."

"To think they'd attack the Museum while two Gym Leaders were there," Burgh came down the steps, waving the smoke away. "I'll head after them. The police are busy enough as it is with their investigation."

Lenora nodded, then caught sight of the three of us. "I'm sorry, but the gym battle will have to wait."

"That's fine," I assured her. "Actually, if you don't mind, we can help you out with finding Team Plasma. We have experience with people like them."

Lenora grinned. "That'd be a big help indeed."

Burgh motioned for us to follow him. "Then let's get that dragon skull back." He then called to the police as we ran by. "We'll handle them!"

"They stole the Dragonite skull?" Robert asked as we ran to keep up with Burgh's long strides. "Why?"

"They yelled that they were claiming the skull in the name of Pokemon liberation."