Chapter 13: The Rogue Pokémon Pt. 1: Friends in Need

"And I give you, ladies and gentlemen," Robert announced as the ship docked at the small port on the beachside. "Route 18."

I walked down the gangplank, shielding my eyes as I stared up. Multiple plateaus rose from the ground, decorated with trees and shrubs. A combination of stairs and trails led up and around the plateaus. Surrounding the island was a sandy beach, which seemed to be occupied by a few Dwebbles and Crustles.

"It might not look it, but it's a pretty big island," Robert said, putting his hands on his hip as he nodded in appreciation. "I came out here once for Professor Juniper to study the local wildlife. We stayed up there, in a house where people can rent out for a night or even a week." He pointed at the largest, centermost plateau, where I could just make out the roof of a building, surrounded by trees.

"Were we planning on staying there the night?" Alex asked. "It's still pretty early."

"Nah, we can probably find a boat to take us to Nuvema Town."

N frowned. "Won't it be quicker to let this boat take us to Nuvema Town?"

"What's life without a little adventure?" Robert asked with a smile. "Plus, I want to show these two the beauty of Unova."

"It's an island," I commented.

"It's more than just an island," Robert said. Now he was frowning at me. "It's a good place to come and relax to enjoy the sun. Plus, a lot of research is done yearly around the island."

"I've been to too many islands," I sighed, enjoying the frustration showing on Robert's face.

"I'll have you know," Robert said loudly, jabbing me in the side. "That this island was once part of the Desert Resort who knows how many hundreds of thousands of years ago."

"If you say so," I flicked his hand away. I smirked as Robert groaned.

"This is totally payback for my earlier jibe isn't it," he groaned. He glanced back at the ship, which was now departing. "Seems like we're the only ones who got off."

"Wanna know something good about islands?" Alex asked, holding out two pokeballs. "It's easier to let out our Pokemon to roam around." She opened both and her Ninetales and Frosmoth appeared, Ninetales sniffing curiously at the sand beneath her paws.

"Good idea," I nodded, throwing two of mine into the air. Arcaneis appeared and immediately dived headfirst into the sand, rolling around like a buffoon. Bisharp stood, looked around, then took off for the nearest Crustle, slamming his blades against it.

"Your Pokemon behave just fine," I sighed to Alex. "And mine..."

"Are a bad influence," Alex said as Arcaneis bowled over Ninetales, both of them beginning to roughhouse on the beach.

N smiled. "Seeing them happy is a great thing to witness."

Bisharp went flying past into the surf as a Crustle made angry clicking noises at him from further up the beach before turning its back. Splashing into the water, I helped the Steel type up. "Next time don't attack wild Pokemon just because. Sometimes they just might be stronger."

"Hurry up Zeno!" Robert yelled. He and the others were heading towards some cracked stone stairs leading up to a small trail on the plateau. "We're gonna leave you behind!"

"Let's go," I said, splashing back to the beach and running towards them with Bisharp alongside me.

...

"Hello, anyone home?" Robert knocked on the door to the house. It was square in shape and only one story high. It looked worn, but it appeared to be free of dust and dirt, so it must be cleaned regularly.