Chapter 30: The King of Team Plasma

I glanced at the box on the bed. Alex and I had returned to our room in the Pokemon Center so we could change into formal attire, but Alex had stopped me before I could find any appropriate clothes and handed me this box. She'd said that it was for me to wear before she hurried into the bathroom to get ready.

Almost afraid as to what might be inside, I opened the flaps to reveal...

"That's... not what I was expecting." I lifted the clothing, rubbing a hand across the soft fabric. I glanced towards the bathroom door. Smiling, I hurriedly got dressed. Figuring out how to wear the dang thing was something else, but in the end I believe I got it. Just in time to because Alex knocked on the other side of the door.

"You decent?" She called.

"Yeah," I said, looking at myself in the mirror. "I just hope this is how you wear a hakama proper-" I turned as I spoke, but my voice faltered. Alex had stepped out of the bathroom, her flame-designed kimono swishing around her. The entire thing was mostly white with the flames surging upwards from the bottom and up her sleeves. She had even put her hair up, a red flower hair clip clipped to the side of her head.

"You're..." I breathed. "Beautiful."

Alex blushed crimson and averted her gaze. "Thank you," she said in a small voice. She cleared her throat, nodding in appreciation at me. "It fits. I didn't know your exact size, so I had to guess."

I glanced down at the traditional formal wear. The kimono part of the outfit was black, as well as the haori I wore over it, while the hakama was striped black and white. "I definitely appreciate you went for black instead of, you know..."

Alex smirked. "Just because it would be fun to embarrass you, doesn't mean it would be fun to get embarrassed alongside you. Now are we going or what?" She asked, holding out her hand. 

Smiling, I walked over and grasped her hand within mine. "And I thought you didn't want to go?"

Alex shrugged, a tiny bit of color rising again to her cheeks. "While I definitely still want to kill Robert for doing this doesn't mean I don't intend to enjoy what's been given."

I smiled and decided against teasing her further. While it was fun, I knew she would get back at me for it later. So for now, I was content with enjoying the upcoming ball together.

"Wait," Alex stopped me before I could move for the door. She reached for my head and ran a hand along my hair. It had grown longer again, the back having reached my shoulders. While it certainly wasn't messy, it wasn't entirely straight either. Aside from quick combings, I tended to just let it be what it is.

"Couldn't you do something with your hair?" Alex asked, pursing her lip.

I frowned. "If you want me to I can gel it back, but..."

"We need to be leaving," Alex sighed. "Sorry, I took too long getting ready in the bathroom."

"It's alright," I said, clasping both her hands together. "Next time I'll do something about my hair. I know I need to cut it anyway."

"No, it's not that..." Alex trailed off. She shook her head. "You look fine, Zeno. Your hair is perfect. I'm just overthinking the formality of the event, that's all."

"You don't think it's getting a bit long?"

"It suits you," Alex said warmly. Then a smirk. "Just don't let it grow long enough to be put in a ponytail. Then we'll be having a talk."

"And there you go crushing my dreams."

...

"Too bad I won't be able to see them have fun," Robert sighed as he lowered his hand as he watched his friends disappear through the crowd, heading back to the Pokemon Center to change. Most people were beginning to leave the amusement park, but plenty were staying behind for some night fun.