Chapter 32: Hanging Out With the Fam

As it turned out, the aftermath of our little battle on the bullet train didn't go as planned. While the Anville Town Police Department took the criminals into custody, they took us, including Kendrick into police custody. According to some eye witnesses, the attack started when Kendrick walked in and started antagonizing the bikers. Plus, the damage done to the Shinkansen was pretty severe. Now the four of us sat in a holding cell in the police station with our items and pokeballs confiscated. 

"Huh, this hasn't happened to us before," Robert said, leaning against one wall. He didn't seem upset, just curious. "We only did what we usually did."

"Someone made us look like the bad guys," Alex remarked, glancing knowingly at Kendrick, who was sitting against the wall opposite her, eyes closed as if asleep. But one eye cracked open to reveal he was wide awake.

"If it's any consolation," He said, smirking. "Whether you guys were there or not, I would've taken those guys down anyway. You just happened to be there."

Alex opened her mouth to retort, but I stopped her by putting a hand on her shoulder. Looking to Kendrick, I asked, "And why is that?"

Kendrick closed his eye, readjusting his position against the wall. "Ask me again when we get out of here." Silence followed for a minute before he said, "Just know that they're my enemies too."

Before any of us could ask him to elaborate, we heard footsteps coming down the hall. We all turned our heads to look to see an officer leading two very familiar people to our cell.

"Zeno!" Jessie exclaimed upon seeing me.

"Hey kid," James said with a wide grin, waving at us. "Got into trouble I see."

Jessie's hair was done up in a bun and her lips a dark cherry red. She wore a dark wool trench coat, all buttoned up with black leggings ending in heels. James was similarly dressed up, although more urban like. He wore faded jeans and a denim jacket. Bits of blue hair stuck out from underneath a gray beanie and he carried himself more casually while Jessie seemed to hold herself like she was part of royalty.

I recognized the look of them. They were in disguise. That definitely meant whatever the reason they were here, it was serious.

"Zeno, Alex, and Robert are free to go," The Officer said, opening the cell. He looks to Kendrick. "You are to remain here. You already have quite a list of misdemeanors."

I made a quick decision. "He comes with us." I looked at Jessie and James when I said this.

Jessie narrowed her eyes at me, but James shrugged. "Sure, why not. Any friend of Zeno's is a friend of ours." He looked to the officer. "He'll come with us."

Thinking he would object, I was surprised when the guard just sighed and nodded to Kendrick. "You can go."

"List of misdemeanors?" Alex raised an eyebrow at Kendrick as we left the Police Station once we all collected our stuff.

He shrugged, adjusting his scarf. "Don't worry about it."

I could tell Alex really didn't like that answer.

Steering the conversation away from Kendrick for now, I turned to Jessie and James. "You going to tell us what's going on? And why you're in disguise?"

Both glanced around nervously. "Not here. Just follow us for now."

...

"'Bout time you all got here," Meowth said, wearing a ragged brown cloak as he ushered inside a rundown shack tucked away on the edges of Anville Town at the base of a forest. Kendrick stopped dead in his tracks upon seeing Meowth talk.