Chapter 49: Truth vs. Ideals Pt. 2: Clash of Heroes

"Déjà vu," I said.

"Yeah, I suppose so," N said, smiling. "Welcome, Zeno, to Team Plasma's castle. And my throne."

"You don't sound too pleased by it." I had to test the waters. See what N thought.

He shrugged. "I may be a king, but it never sat right with me that I would have a throne. I would prefer to be down here with the Pokemon." As he spoke, five Pokemon appeared from behind the throne. Volcarona hovered overhead as an Archeops settled on his shoulder. Vanilluxe and Klinklang hovered to either side while Zoroark regarded me with cold eyes as he stood at N's right hand side. Reshiram herself only seemed to look at me with some sort of expectancy.

"However, I am still King," N tilted his head slightly. "So whether I like it or not, this is my throne. But I won't be facing you as King, but as the Hero of Truth."

"You know, I ran into these two lovely ladies on the way here," I jerked a thumb back towards the door. "Anthea and Concordia."

N looked to be caught off guard. "My sisters?"

"They-you're what?!" I blinked at him. "Okay, moving on. Anyway, I'm sorry."

N still had the look of confusion on his face. "For what?"

"They told me a bit about your past," I explained. "Your original blood family. I'm sorry you had to deal with that. I know from experience how terrible family can be."

N looked impassive. "That was in the past. I've moved on."

"Well I haven't."

I couldn't tell who was more surprised by that. N, or myself. But I couldn't stop now. I had to press on. "My father was cruel. One of the worst human beings by far. And because of what he made me, I made so many terrible mistakes. Mistakes I don't think I'll ever be able to make up for." I stared down at my hands. For a moment I could see them stained with blood. "You would have looked at me and saw the worst in humanity. It's why I can't fully disagree with your truth."

"Then-" N started, but I cut him off.

"Then I met Arcaneis," I placed on a hand on my long-time partner. "He was just a Growlithe then. He and his mother cared for me when I was injured. There were times when I thought they should have just let me die. Then hunters came and in the end only Growlithe and I were able to escape."

N looked disgusted. "This is why I fight for Pokemon. Humans only seek to enslave them. Sell them. And-"

"Look at us, N," I implored him. "Really look. He and I, we started out with nothing. He'd lost his mother and I was trying to leave behind the only past I ever knew. We began anew and we've worked hard to get where we're at. Together. Not as trainer and Pokemon. Not even as friends. As family." Arcaneis huffed, looking at me fondly. I smiled, ruffling his fur. "All my Pokemon are my family. I don't keep them in pokeballs to keep them in line or anything like that. They trust me enough to be kept inside them, to be kept safe by me. You've heard them speak before. So hear them again."

One-by-one I let out all the Pokemon that had chosen to follow me. From Alola there was Decidueye, Lycanroc, Gyarados, Kabutops, Mimi, and Mahina. From my time in Kalos Greninja, Lucario, Mawile, Corviknight, and Bisharp had joined our family. And then from Unova-

"Joltik," N breathed, eyes widening in shock.

The small Pokemon nestled himself into my hair. "You see N, they chose to be here by my side. We may have had some tough goings, and I'll be the first to admit I have wronged them once before." At that I gave my Kalos Pokemon a sad smile, but they all looked at me warmly. "And there are many out there who have the same relationship with their Pokemon. Not every human are as bad as the ones you've witnessed."