Chapter 9: Virbank Port

"Look, up ahead!" Alex pointed from atop Ninetales. Down the street they were on was a crowd of people, green and purple spotlight set up haphazardly in front of the main gate that led to Virbank Port.

Alex and I shared a look and we commanded our Pokemon to slow down. Once they slowed to a trot, I jumped off. The nearest guy, a punk with spiky purple hair turned to us.

"If you're here for the show," he scowled, apparently frustrated with the look on his face. "It ain't happening. You might as well move on kids."

"What show?" Alex asked.

The punk rolled his eyes. "The only show ever worth seeing in Virbank." He pushed past us and left, muttering under his breath.

"What was that about?" Alex wondered aloud.

I was about to reply when a voice shouted over the noise of the gathered crowd. 

"Every night! Every night of the week this port is closed off to us and I would like to know the reason why!"

I returned Arcaneis and began pushing my way through the crowd, ignoring the grumblings I got in return, Alex close behind me. When we were finally close enough, we saw that the crowd of punks and hooligans with the occasional normal looking person had formed a semicircle around the gate. In front of the gate stood was a security guard, shaking his head at the girl in front of him. She had long white hair done in a high, spiky ponytail with a purple and blue bobble holding it up. She wore a long blue and purples striped dress that had ragged ends and almost knee-high black boots with teal platforms. A black bass with purple stripes was settled against her shoulder as a Koffing circled around her head, occasionally blowing out small puffs of purple gas. 

She gripped her bass tightly, as if she might swing it at the guard as if it was a baseball bat. "This port used to be always open for my rock concerts. I've been patient and all, but this crowd wants the show!" She threw up one hand and the crowd cheered loudly, pumping their fists into the air. A couple of them even began chanting, "ROXIE! ROXIE! ROXIE!"

She lowered her hand and they stopped. She glared at the guard. "I just want to know the reason why we're not allowed in."

"I'm sorry, ma'am," the guard said, keeping a straight, business-like face. "You're now allowed in."

"Heh," Roxie shook her head. "Fine then." She turned to the crowd, slinging her bass over her shoulder and throwing up her hands. "Everyone! I'm sorry to say this, but this concert won't be happening in the port!"

The crowd booed, jeering at the security guard. To his credit, he didn't seem to flinch. 

"INSTEAD!" Roxie had to shout louder for the crowd to hear her. At once, they quieted, and stared with bated breath. She smirked, swinging her bass into the playing position and let the sound of one of the strings to echo through the air. "We'll be holding our concert right here!"

The crowd went wild, cheering and yelling, as the guard seemed to sputter some protest, but no one payed him any attention. People began rushing around us, grabbing the lights and positioning them alongside part of the gate.

"Looks like we won't be getting in that way," Alex said as we finally broke free of the crowd. 

"No," I scanned the length of the fence that spanned across the street. "But I bet we can sneak in right now. This concert is the perfect distraction."

"Hi-yah!" 

Alex and I jumped and whirled around to see Roxie standing there, hands clasped behind her back as Koffing circled around us. She smirked. "Did I hear that right? You two are planning to sneak into the port?"