Chapter 48: Truth vs. Ideals Pt. 1: The King's Past

"However," N lowered his arms. "This is not the venue where we shall witness who the true hero is. I am Team Plasma's King. As such, there is a much better place suitable for our fated battle."

I glanced around at the ornate golden architecture. "You're saying this isn't fancy enough for your taste?"

N pulled a face. "It's too fancy. But no, that isn't really the reason. This is a temple, a place for priests and worshipers. But I am a king. And a king must have his palace." Suddenly the entire temple began to tremble as a huge rumbling sound filled the room.

"What-!?" I looked at N, eyes wide. "What did you do!?"

N only smiled as he turned around, heading for the back of the temple. I hurried after him and soon enough we came out of the back of the temple. Flat land of hard rock and grass stretched on for miles, but my attention was drawn to the cracking earth not too far away as the ground shook even harder. 

The ground gave way as castle turrets broke through the earth, rising higher. Along with it came castle walls that rose up from all sides, surrounding the Pokemon League. Once they reached their peak, the castle finished ascending and sections opened up along the sides. It looked like a modern mansion, yet a castle all the same. Black platforms shot down from each one, colliding with the ground and breaking through, creating bridges up to the castle. Or rather, bridges for the dozens of Team Plasma grunts to come trooping down, each squad led by one of Team Plasma's seven sages, minus Ghetsis.

"This is my castle, Zeno," N said as he began walking towards the nearest bridge. "Making your way to my throne will be your final task. Reshiram and I shall be waiting."

"N!" I shouted, moving to give chase, only for his grunts to rush down the stairs past him, their Pokemon forming a barrier. I leaped back, putting space between us.

"Impudent child," one of the sages spat. "You will refer to him as King!"

"You are the supposed Hero of Ideals?" Another judged. "You are nothing."

"You won't even get the chance to face our King," a third spoke with finality in his tone. "You will be stopped here."

"All loyal followers of our King!" One of them raised his hand. "Your task is to defend this castle with your very lives! Our King is the Hero of Truth who fights to free all Pokemon from the unrighteous!"

"He is the one who will bring about peace and prosperity to all who believe in his truth!"

Arcaneis appeared at my side, growling low as he crouched, his hackles rising.

"Our King has entrusted us with this task!" The final sage glared at me. "If you cannot even do that, then what are you worth to our excellency!?" He pointed to me with a crooked finger. "Destroy him!"

Just as the first wave of Pokemon leaped towards me, a wave of fire blasted them backwards. I raised my hands to shield my face from the heat, glancing back. There, standing with his hands on his hips and a Volcarona to his side, was Alder.

"Well now," He glanced appreciatively at the castle. "Isn't this a nice change of scenery."

"You're the previous-!" One of the sages took a step back. "Team Plasma, fight for our King and take them both down!"

"It isn't just me you know," Alder said as an earthquake rippled through the ground, knocking many grunts off their feet as an Excadrill tore through the earth, landing beside Clay.

"Howdy," Clay grinned, hefting his pickaxe onto his shoulder. "I think I recognize some of you folks from Driftveil. And you should recognize the rest of my company."