Chapter 5: Battling It Out Unova Style

"I'm afraid you won't be able to see Joltik for another day," Nurse Joy apologized, bowing her head slightly. "He's still in horrible condition, but he is improving. Once the major treatment can be finished, all he'll need is a quick heal from our machines."

"That's a relief," I said, but inside, I knew that little Pokemon was going to have further struggles down the road even after recovering. Some of the worst injuries come from the mental aspect and Joltik is bound to have plenty of that. "Anyway," I tucked those dark thoughts away for now. "Were you able to figure out if they have trainers they belong to?"

"They do not unfortunately," Nurse Joy said sadly. "However, I can assure you once they receive the optimal treatment here, they'll either be sent back to the wild where they can thrive or to an organization where they can be kept safe in a safer environment."

I nodded, thinking. "If Joltik agrees, I wouldn't mind taking him in while I journey."

Nurse Joy clapped her hands together. "Oh, that would be splendid. I'll contact you as soon as Joltik is fully healed. I'll need your trainer info please."

"That's another reason I came here actually," I said. "I've only just arrived here in Unova, so I'll need a card."

"Have you participated in any other official leagues before this?"

"Yes," I answered. "The Alolan and Kalos Leagues, in that order."

"Alrighty then," Nurse Joy turned to the computer mounted onto the desk. "I'll just be a couple minutes while I gather the information. I'll call you over when it's ready."

"Alright, thanks," I nodded to her before crossing the Pokemon Center where Alex was playing with the Cubchoo. He had healed faster than the Joltik, but he showed signs of what I fear will happen with Joltik. Even as I approached, I could tell the Ice type immediately went on guard, eyes narrowing slightly. 

"Don't you worry," Alex booped his nose lightly. "He's friendly, for the most part."

"Hey!" I said, trying to pretend to be irritated. Frosmoth, who was floating above Cubchoo, seemed to convince Cubchoo I wasn't a threat since he calmed down after a few seconds. Another of Alex's Pokemon, Florges, was floating just behind Cubchoo, trying to dazzle him by twirling her flowers around.

"So, how is he?" Alex asked.

"He'll get better," I rubbed the back of my head. "I'm hoping I can bring him along on our journey once he is."

Cubchoo started at that, eyes narrowing again. Alex rubbed his head. "Don't worry, you can come with me. Where Zeno goes, I go."

"Yeah," I kneeled, looking down at him. "You two will still be together, don't you worry." I looked back at Alex. "Are you going to register for the Unova League as well?"

"I will soon," she promised. "You're getting yours set up now?"

"Yep," I nodded. "Since Robert was planning on taking us to the Trainer's School today, I thought-"

"That you would get started on the Gyms," Alex finished. "I figured as much."

"Why don't you get registered as well so you can challenge the Gym Leader as well?" I asked, frowning.

Alex waved her hand. "Nah. Robert said there were more than 8 different gyms one could challenge her in Unova, so I think I'll skip this one. Plus," She smirked. "I don't want to scare this new Gym Leader."

I rolled my eyes, starting to walk away once hearing Nurse Joy call my name. "How gracious of you." 

...