Chapter 56: Rise of Clarity

Swampert's palm crashed through the Shadow Ball hurtling towards, crushing it between her fingers as she brought down her glowing fist and slammed it into the earth. The entire cavern shook violently as the earthquake tore through it, loose rocks falling from the ceiling. Cofagrigus struggled to maintain balance, a rock clipping his shoulder. Swampert moved then, pushed forward by a wave of water that she sent ahead of her into the Ghost type. Battered by the wave, Swampert used that distraction to bash him across the head with a frozen fist.

Before he could hit the ground, his shadowy hands shot upwards, wrapping around Swampert. He launched her up into the ceiling, making her cry out before firing several Energy Balls in quick succession. Swampert went limp and Cofagrigus released her, and she fell to the ground with a crash.

"Is that really the best you could do?" Ghetsis sneered. "I didn't make it this far because I was weak. If you want to stop me, you're going to have to overcome countless years of hard fought battles and copious amount of patience that I had to endure."

"Yeah, I don't care about any of that," Robert dismissed him with a wave of his hand as he returned Swampert. "You villain types trying to take over the world are all the same to me. And that means you're going to lose. I may not be as badass as Zeno, or had some cool, death-predicting prophecies made about me, but that's not about to stop me from kicking your ass!"

Ghetsis' face twisted with anger. "How dare you mock me!"

"Careful, gramps, you might pull a blood vessel."

"AAARGH!" Ghetsis yelled and Cofagrigus surged forward, ghostly energy spilling out from him towards Robert.

"It's time for combat, Snorlax!" Robert heaved the pokeball and his partner Pokemon came out and absorbed the ghost attack. He then proceeded to launch himself at Cofagrigus, slamming into him and launching him across the cave. He crashed into a wall, bits of stone breaking off from the impact. He slumped forward, his ghostly arms retracting into his coffin.

"You were saying?" Robert smirked.

"Insolent..." Ghetsis shook with rage. "I will kill you, boy! This place marks your grave!" Without even bothering to return his fallen Pokemon, he reached for another pokeball and opened it. Robert barely registered that it was a Hydreigon before a massive blast of draconic energy ripped by him, tearing up the ground and obliterating the stone shards that broke free. Robert stood there in shock as it died away. He turned his head slowly, seeing Snorlax on the ground beside him, fainted.

"This is the power you oppose, boy," Ghetsis spoke, his tone that of barely restrained anger. "Now die."

Crap crap crap! Robert moved as if in slow motion. He could see Hydreigon's three maws opening simultaneously, draconic power bubbling in their throats. No time to get out of the way! And none of my Pokemon can take an attack like that! What can I-

A chill spread through his body as a mist spread over him. Then he was slammed to the side as four beams of energy met one another in the middle of the cavern. The explosion that followed rocked Robert's world and he covered his head as rocks fell around him. When the shaking stopped, he removed his arms and looked up to see-

"Kyurem," he breathed. Kyurem stood there, weakened and battered, having just managed to match Hydreigon's attack. But judging by the scorch marks upon the ground, Hydreigon had gotten dangerously close to overpowering him.

"You protected me," Robert said as he stood.

"You're going to bite the hand that feeds you?" Ghetsis laughed maniacally. "Fine then! Once I take you and the boy down, I will force you to merge with the legendary dragons! Even if I cannot have the Perfect Dragon, I will at least use you for all your worth!"