001. wonderful world

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

BEGINING OF THE MIDDLE

❝I don't belong to anyone, but everybody knows my name❞

'Kiara!'

A young woman; with golden-brown layered locks framing a pair of startling, stormy grey eyes. Turned around in the the direction of her best friend; Simon Lewis's voice.

'Clary's interview is almost done. We're gonna be late!'

'Right, let's go. Oh━ and thanks, Si.'

'For what?'

'For just volunteering to pay, all of today's expenses.'

'But I didn't━ damn it.'

Kiara looked at the people walking by as they headed down the street. No one looked twice at the pair, their noses buried into a screen or talking into a phone. Only a little girl about 6, smiled at Kiara. Baring her small sharp teeth and her delicate wings fluttered.

Wings? 

Kiara blinked but the little girl was gone. Shaking her head, they entered the coffee shop and Kiara took a small breath. Caffeine always seemed to calm her down, that and a shot of tequila (not that she was allowed). While Simon headed off to find them a table, she made the order: three lattes and biscotti. A bell tinkled, as Kiara made her way to their table with the lattes and snacks, and her grey eyes caught the sadness and disappointment etched on Clary's face. Oh boy.

"Simon..."

"Yep?" The boy says, looking up from some new lyrics they were writing. Kiara whispered urgently, in his ear.

"Tell Rebecca, to come to my place and we are in desperate need of: tissues, black coffee, Clary's comfort playlist, and crayons. Lots, and lots of crayons."

"On it." Simon grabbed his phone and began to text.

"Oh, please add pizza to that list."

"Right... what ab- here she comes." Simon stopped talking and looked up at the new arrival, Kiara felt her protectiveness stirring, when she saw how miserable Clary was.

"Give me the professors' names and I...will end them" said Simon. The two girls looked at him, caught off guard.

"With a scathing email to the dean" he added innocently. Kiara scoffed and sat beside him.

"Oh yeah... and what are you going to say?" Kiara says teasingly, Simon hesitates.

"Err... Dear sir or ma'am? I do not appreciate your decision too..." Simon broke off when Kiara rolled her eyes.

"Simon— sweetheart. I have no idea where you learnt the meaning of 'scathing' but you seemed to have missed, a few crucial details."

"It doesn't matter anyways, don't bother" said Clary glumly, sitting down stiffly and handing Kiara and Simon, the opened letter in her hands. Kiara saw the word 'CONGRATULATIONS' stamped on it in red. The two of them looked up to see the red head grinning, green eyes twinkling mischievously.