𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐱𝐢𝐢𝐢.━━━ bad dreams

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

"Submerged Memory"

" 'And I tried to hold these secrets inside me
My mind's like a deadly disease' "

"No way." said Clary.

"Really?" Kiara snickered at Simon's daring, both her and Clary lied on Kiara's bed, talking to Simon over the phone as he narrated the day's surprising events. Foot falls of two people made their way for the girls' shared bedroom. Kiara nudged Clary and the redhead dashed over to her own bed.

"Simon, we gotta go." Clary whispered hurriedly, before curling up in her blankets. The bedroom door opened and Jocelyn and Luke unaware of the awake 16 year olds— were in the middle of an argument.

"Luke... no." Jocelyn pleaded.

"Jocelyn, all this lying is destroying you. Stop blocking their memories and tell them truth." Luke whispered angrily.

"I can't. You know I can't." Jocelyn countered, her green eyes were fearful and sad.

"You're just delaying the inevitable." Kiara and Clary didn't dare open their eyes but they shifted slowly in their beds, to help hear the adults better.

"Clary and Kiara are Shadowhunters and there's nothing you can do to change that. And your forgetting what Kiara is, Magnus already warned you-" Jocelyn cut him off.

"This world is too dangerous. If anyone knew who they really are, the risks would be a hundred times greater."

"What happens when they find out the truth on her own? And then what?" 

" I won't let that happen. If they ever learn about him, about Valentine, Clary's father. — or— her." Jocelyn gazed with glassy eyes, at the apparent sleeping figure of Kiara. "I wish Seraphina was here, my sister would have loved to watch her daughter grow up." 

'Did she though?"

"It was my fault. I turned Sera, away when she needed me the most..."

"So  that's why you insisted Kiara stays here."

"It's safer." Jocelyn insisted.

"Or is it redemption?"

Jocelyn never answered Luke's question.

Clary opens her eyes abruptly, tears much like her mother's in the vision, threatening to fall. The Silent Brothers let her break away from the Soul Sword but Kiara remained under it. The Brothers closed in on the elder girl, their arms still raised, reaching for her memories. "Wait... Wait, where are they going? Why is Kiara still there? We aren't done with me. We can't be done." Clary shook her head, tears fell, her mind groping for the glimmer of hope that what she saw wasn't true. A thin, trickle of blood beaded Clary's forehead.