No Sleep For The Weary

She was woken to the bed shifting. Slowly opened her eyes glancing at the clock that read three AM There was a figure stumbling to the bathroom. Her great clench with worry Nick had been going to the bathroom all night none of them were getting much sleep tonight. They had made decisions that nick was to sleep with her tonight while her husband slept in the room with the two older boys.

She looks to see that Nick glass water was gone likely to refill it once more she knew she had to make the call to the doctors tomorrow first thing in the morning. Allowing her self to sigh listening to the stillness of the night. The water ran in the bathroom light was brought into the room as her son open the door turning the light off making his way back to her. She watches the silhouette of her son pass the bed to sit in an armchair in the corner of the room pulling his leg up close to himself.

"Everything ok." She whispered to him slowly sitting up in bed to face him. " you want the light on, so we can talk."

Nick took a sip of water placing it on the desk beside him. " I thought you were sleeping." His voice is raspy from exhaustion and the fact his whole mouth was dry not even water could fix it now.

"No sweetheart I was awake I heard you every time you get up to go pee or get a drink." She slowly pulled the covers off swing her leg over to turn the lamp on. Getting better looks at the poor children. He looked so pathetic sitting in the chair.

"Sorry, I been keeping you up taking another drink letting it sit in his mouth. Watching his mom come over sitting on the end of the bed looking at him soft smile on her face.

"Don't say sorry you're not feeling well." Patting him on his boney knee. " All be calling the doctor first thing tomorrow."

"So I guess we'll be leaving early." He felt his heart sink. He rounded all of this for his family. " This was going to be such a good vacation." Looking at the ugly dark hotel carpet. His eye fellowing a pattern.

"No baby you didn't mess anything up. Her voice firm making sure her words came clear none of this was his fault. " we want you to start feeling better and if it means we need cut our trip short so be it." Bringing her son close to her gives him a soft hug. She notices her son seems to breathe very slow like every breath was hard. Also she could smell fruity smell on the teen's breath.

"What's wrong mom." He felt her stiffen looking up at her she seems to have frightened look on her face. " mom everything ok." He grabs her hand that simple act seems to bring her out of it.

"Yes am fine I want to bring your dad in and talk with you." Swiftly getting up grabbing her housecoat from the chair. " All be right back ok she nodded at him closing the door behind her.

Leaving Nick alone his eyes look towards the only source of light in the room. Grabbing his glass to take seep to only find that it was empty again. Looking towards the bathroom, his legs felt heavy he didn't think he could walk the routine for the 20th time tonight. Flopping back in the chair in frustration.

He was brought out of his foggy mind to his mom and dad coming back in. He just looked at his dad trying to smile but it came out more of a grimace.

"Mom can grab more water please."Handing her the glass his tongue smack against the roof of his mouth. He watches her turn and walks to the bathroom to get him more.

"Your mom said she thinks your getting worse." Nick's eye followed his father as he sat on the chair next to him he just shrugged his shoulders.

"Can you close your mouth kiddo?" He notices his son's mouth seem to be hanging open a little bit. He observes his son shake his head.

"It hurts too much I can't close my mouth my whole tongues hard." Nick tried explaining.His father was taken back he made a motion to get him open his mouth so he could understand.

He slowly opens his mouth his dad shown flashlight in his mouth. His mouth was red and irritated. His tongue was comprised he had an impression of his teeth around the edge and the top was indeed very hard. He got the same fruity smell that he had noticed on and off with his son for a couple of days.

"Mom coming with water would you like me to go get some ice cubes from the ice machine down the hall." Turning off the flashlight looking at his son in concern.

"I would like that pleases." His eyes turned to the sound of his mom coming back. Handing him a new glass of cold water. He chugged it down in seconds.

"Thanks."

Putting it down on the desk looking up at his parents. Feeling very exposed like he was dressed full nude in front of them. The worried look on there face made him squirm in the armchair feeling very uncomfortable.

"I need to get him to ice it might help with dryness on his tongue. His father spoke quietly.

"Oh there hotel key in my purse." Denise pointed to the small back bag that was on a chair near the front door. She sat back on the bed facing her son. She didn't know how to help her son at the moment. This was not something she could grab bandaid and fix.

"Mom all be ok." He felt like he needs to comfort his parents. Maybe he was just being overdramatic. But he felt so drained his head pounded with every breath he took. Curling himself in the chair resting his head on the armrest.

"Sweet you are far from ok. You want some pain killers and then try head back to bed?"Watching her son nod for the request of pain killers.15min later Nick was back in the bed snuggled up to his mom, a couple of ice chips in his mouth. The pain killer was slowly working through his system.

"Night mom."

"Night sweetheart."

The light where slowly click off mother and son tried to get back to sleep but none slept that night. Worry filled the room like a cloud of smoke chocking its victims.