Reality Check

The small needle was glaring at him he was pinching the skin on his thigh like there Educator had shown him but he could not will himself to put the needle in his leg he could feel tears start rolling down his face.

Kelly quickly took the needle that was filled with saline to allow the kid to let out his emotion. She didn't speak word there was really nothing she could say that would make this process easier.

" Mom....i cant do this..."Nick could hear his voice break his whole body shook.

" Shh." His dad took his son into his arms. " It ok I know it's hard to do you want mom or me to do it."

" No." Nick shook his head. " I need to do this wiping tears from his eyes "
Kevin Sr nodded feeling proud that his son was being so brave in these very unsure times

" ready." He moved out of his father's arm taking the needle between his fingertips. Grabbing a small amount of fat on his thigh. Slowly breathing in deep. As he breathes out he slides the needle into his skin quickly. Pushing the plunger down. Counting to 5 and slowly pulling out the needle.

His heart was pounding in his chest slowly it struck him that he had just given himself shot. It didn't hurt as much as he thought. Maybe the little adrenaline rush he had was helping him with not feeling the pain part.

" I did it." Speaking in a shocked tone looking around the room. there were smiles all around. His mom was of course crying his father pulled him into a hug.

" I'm soo proud of you Nick." His voice was filled with so much emotion. His son had just stuck himself with the needle. It slowly became a reality that he was going to have to watch his son hurt himself multiple times a day to keep himself. It was one of those independent achievements that you have so much joy for your child doing. He always thought he gets that feeling when his son would start driving or going on date never something like this.

It had changed his perspective on life and what you take for granted. The simple act of eating and not having to worry cause the body would do what it needs to do. His son did not have that luxury anymore it broke his heart.

He slowly brought his young teen in close kissing the boy head " good job." He mumbled so quietly he wasn't sure that Nick even heard him.

" You did so well." Denise praised her son as tears rolled down her face. She quickly dapped her eyes with kleenexes. She was so happy she chose not to wear mascara today. Her husband came over and gave her a gentle hug.

" Everything going to be ok." He whispered is his wife's ear. " God will be watching over our family.

"I know it just sucks." Her voice broke she was trying so desperately to get herself back in control of her emotions.

" Mom it's ok." Nick reach out his hand to grab his mom's. It hurt a lot to see his parents feeling this way. It made him feel bad that he was causing them so much hurt and pain.

" It ok to feel this way." The CSW spoke up. " We will not judge you for feeling these emotions." She leaned forward in her chair. I would be more concerned if I saw no tears at all." She gave a soft smile. To Denise and Kevin

" You have raised a son that very mature kinda and I think very smart."

Nick felt his face go red from the compliments.

" Thank that mean a lot to use." Nick heard his father speak.

" We try on raising all are boys with a sense of respect for themself and others also faith in God."

Nick couldn't help but feel odd when his father spoke about God like that. He never had this sort of feeling before it was almost a sense of anger toward the higher power. He quickly shoved that into the back of his mind. He should never think ill of his religion.

" Well, now that hardest part for today is over." Kelly smiled now we just have chat about how all of this plays into Nicks day to day life.
Nick leaned back in the bed as they began to talk about how important it was that Nick try to keep his blood sugar in range.

At first, the conversation seems to be light heartes then took nose dive into place Nick never could have even imagined. He kept looking at his parents for the level of comfort but they to look just as scared as he was.

" Yes if he doesn't try to keep his blood sugar in range he can become blind or lose limbs," Kelly explains back to Nicks's father. Who seemed like he was having trouble absorbing the information. " Having high blood sugar all the time can cause irreparable damage later on in life."

" So if I don't keep my levels in check now I can have complications later on in life." Nick slowly spoke up he had been quiet for good 20min while it felt like he and his family where being lectured.

" Yes." Was the only thing that he got out of the educator.
He was on such a high little bit ago giving himself a shot and now he felt a sense of paralyzing fear strike his heart he just wanted off this roller coaster.

" what about him getting low blood sugar one of the nurses talk about that to us this morning.' Kevin Sr looks at his wife who nods she didn't have the composer to speak at the moment.

" That's on the other end of the spectrum." Kelly spoke, " That can be more dangerous than going high caused how fast a person can drop when it comes to the blood sugar." She knew all of this was scary and hard to hear but they need to know this when caring for Nick

" if Nick 70 or lower he need fast-acting carb we have a rule you eat 15 carbs and then test in 15 minutes to see if he as come up or he still low you treat again with 15 carbs." explaining the protocol.

" can I die from having low blood sugar." Nick biting his nails his father pushed his hand away to he got a nod from his educator. his heart clenched in his chest he wasn't sure if he could listen to any of this much information.

"But that's why you test whenever you feel off." she rolled her chair closer to the teen. " some of the

symptoms of feeling low are
Feeling shaky
feeling anxious or nervous
sweating or chills
irritability
fast heartbeat
light head or dizzy
hunger

" so like when my blood sugar was high I had feelings of feeling thirsty hungry tired I will have symptoms when I am low." the teen spoke holding himself close.

" yes." Kelly nodded " You will likely feel these symptoms before it gets to dangerous low but it's important you check your sugar cause some time low and high symptoms can be the same." looking up at Nicks's parents to see how they were handling the information.

"So what do you mean when you say dangerously low." Denise grabbed her hand husband's hand leaning into his shoulder.

" Nick can pass out end up having seizures even pass away if his blood sugar gets too low and in turn, you can't really give him any glucose oral cause now it would be classed as choking hazard." she slowly pulled out of her box was a long slim orange rectangular box.

Nick didn't reach out to grab it he had no interest in this the information was there ever an end to this condition.

" This is your Glucagon Emergency kit." she slowly opened. " this is injectable hormone to quickly raise blood sugar you have to mix the liquid with power and then inject." explain step by step on how to use it. Nick was shocked at how long the damn needle was.

" Look I know this very scary but this important and when lows come cause they will come you all will know what to do." Kelly put all her equipment away I think its time for a break."

" Thank you so much." Nick could hear his parents speak to his diabetic educator " He was truly terrified at this moment in time he was broken out of his thought by his educator calling his name as he slowly looked up towards her.

" I'm sorry what," he spoke his voice sounded childlike.

" I just wanted to make sure your ok Nick." she gave him a sympathetic look. " we will continue later on today if you're feeling up to it ok." she brought her hand out as the young teen shook it.

She quickly left the room with the service worker allowing the family to take some time and rest and digest all the information she had given them in the last two hours. It was going to take time to adjust to there new normal.