The Future Of The Band

By 4 pm Nick was ready for a nap they had spent most of the day learning the very basic need for his Diabetes. His head was spinning he couldn't believe that he had to do the math to calculate the carb to match his insulin doses. Every time he had to eat any type of meal. well, they did talk about something called free carb snack where he didn't need to give himself insulin. Which made him feel better if he was ever high and was hungry he could have a free carb option.

The good news they had finally got his blood sugar stable and he had gotten off the IVs. But now every mealtime he was responsible for giving himself a shot. He knew the doctor and nurses were there to make sure he was comfortable.

But still made him scared he was going to be taking meds to keep him well but also one miss calculation and he could be on the floor having a seizure from a low and may never wake up. Or he could go high and cause horrible compilation. What he was slowly learning about diabetes seems like it was a balancing act.

" How are you feeling?" His mom spoke she was laying on the couch wrap in a blanket. She had so many papers and new scripts that they would have to fill out before they left tomorrow.

" Meh." Shrugging his shoulder slowly laying down. His eyes slowly slipped closed curling on his side. Letting out a tired breath.

" Get some rest you did such a good job today." His dad praised him his world slipped away from his mind.

" Mom what's going to happen tomorrow." The voice of Kevin could be heard to the left of him. It was a little bit hard to understand his hearing slowly coming to.

" We haven't talked about it." She spoke with a sense of hesitation. " we want to make sure Nicks doing ok before we can even think about touring again."

Both boys look at each other with understanding but she couldn't help see the disappointment. In their eyes, they wanted this dream of being a family band just as much as Nick.

" We have to think what if we tell the label or not." Their father sat on the rocking chair at the foot of his son's bed.

" What could happen if we tell them." Joe looked at his hand.

" We don't tell them." Everyone jump when they heard Nick speak he slowly sat up. Letting out slow yawn stretching feels good to move not to be stuck or restricted by anything.

" Hey, how you feeling." Joe leaned forwards fist-bumping his little brother. " you look so much better." Getting a good look at the teen.

"feel so much better." Hugging Kevin "

You also look better bro." Giving a shy smile he could see his brother blush from the memory of yesterday.

" I never meant to do that to you." Joe stumbles of his words looking down at his feet.

" Hey, didn't mean anything by it." Nick rested a hand on Joe's shoulder "I never want you to feel bad about that it." He spoke he tried to make eye contact with his big brother.

His brother slowly looks up as they slowly leaned their heads against each other. "Love you, bro." Nick let out a whisper cry." He felt joe grab the back of his head giving him the support he so desperately wanted no words were said just their strong bond and physical contact sent the message perfectly.

Moment past Joe slowly let him go " Do want to do the show tomorrow." Sitting back in his chair crossing his arms.

" Yes." Was the blunt reply from his brother. He nodded listening to it wasn't his call tell Nick he couldn't do the show that was their parents.

" Get out of my way we are doing the 8 clock show," Nick spoke with ferocity there was no negotiating about this. " We don't tell the label we act like I had a really bad stomach bug." Quickly explain his plan.

" What happens if you go....ugh what's the term." Kevin snapped his fingers trying to get the medical term.

" Low?." Nick raised his eyebrow.

" will just have fast-acting sugar on the side of the stage." Joe quickly spoke up

"Nick has to make a promise, to be honest, about how he is feeling," Kevin spoke up.

" I promise all do whatever it takes to be able to do this." Nick looked at his mom. He was on the verge of begging he needs this he wanted to be on that stage. It where he truly belonged.

" Ok boy." Denise leaned forward "your father and I hear you ." She didn't know what was the right thing to do. But she knew in her heart this is what her three sons wanted.

" But we also have to think about Nick's health." She didn't want to have to play devil's advocate but she had to make sure Nick was healthy and safe that was top priority.

" Mom all be ok," Nick spoke with urgency to his voice. " Dad please we are going to be able to go on tour with the cheetah girl in December." This could be the big break they were looking for.

" How about this." He looked at his son. " These upcoming shows will be very crucial to show all of us if this all worth it." Looking at his wife she nodded to agree with him.

" Nick you have to listen to every order we give you. When comes to managing your diabetes." This was not something he was not going to allow to get lazy or slip. Or they would stop all of it

" Dad I will take the initiative to check my blood sugar and take my insulin." The teen spoke with no hesitation or complete was bad. He understood how serious this medical condition was.

" I'm not going to allow this to slow me down." The word he had been saying all day in his mind he finally spoke out loud.

The whole room got very quiet the family realized that Nick was being very serious. He was being very mature about the whole thing. He was not going to allow his disease to hold him back from living his dream.

" Ok, then it settled you guys are doing the show tomorrow night." Their father spoke proudly in his eyes watching his sons cheer. Joe was jump around the room Kevin was laughing in his chair.

Nick smiled wide it was something he had miss seeing him smile that bright. Bring his wife close this was something he needed to do for his son. He wanted their dreams to come true.