I'm I Going To Die

The room was so quiet you could hear a pin drop.

I'm I going to die." the teen on the exam table spoke up he was visibly shaking he had full-blown panic in his anxious eye.

Denise immediately came to her son's side. He curled around her he let out loud choking sob. He didn't want to die. He was too young to die, wasn't he?

“You're not going to die.” Their family doctor slowly came over and places a hand on his shoulder. Wiping tears from her eyes.

" You will be able to live a long happy life with type 1 diabetes." She made sure every word she spoke was getting through to the distraught teen and mother.

"What exactly is type 1 diabetes." stumbling over his words. Wiping away the tears. He could feel his upset mom rubbing his back. Denise was desperately trying to register the critical information in her own mind. Didn't the condition effect people that had poor diets? Why was her son getting diagnosed with such an unusual thing?

Their doctor took in a deep breath before starting. "Type 1 diabetes, is a disease in which the pancreas does not produce any insulin. Insulin is a key hormone that helps your body to control the level of glucose (sugar) in your blood."She grabbed her chart from the desk. All the symptoms you have informed me like
Drink a lot of water.
Peeing a lot
Fatigue
Weight loss."

Nick looked at his mom's shock that they had discovered what was wrong with him. But he didn't feel calm his heart was still pounding in his chest.

"He will have to take insulin for the rest of his life." The doctor was now more talking to Nick's mom. " He will have to take insulin injection for the rest of his life."

" Wait what." Both mother and son spoke simultaneously.

"He is in severe DKA and needs to go to the hospital to get treated." She spoke in a stern tone making herself very clear. " Go pack a bag and go straight to the hospital. Even better if you could just go right away. Your family can grab everything for you."

"Wait I'm sorry whats DKA and why does my son need to go to the hospital."Nick watches his mom slowly sit back down on the plastic chair. Like if she stood any longer she might faint.

" Ok listen DKA stands for Diabetic Ketoacidosis and because of that, he is losing weight peeing and drinking. Your son dangerously dehydrated and his whole chemical balance is off."She needed them to understand there was no time to waste he needs fluids electrolytes and insulin in him straight away.

"All call the hospital to let them know you are coming I would recommend New York kid hospital I know it 45min away but he will get the best care there." She swiftly places all of Nick's records back in her folder. "everything will be ok Nick." she gave the teen a hug and smiling at Denise" Be strong ok." Hastily leaving the room to place a phone call to the hospital.

Nick look at the door from where the doctor had just come from. He wipes another wave of tears away. He felt numb, or he was in a dream. The rain started to fall behind him a roar of dull thunder could be heard from far. His concerned mom aided him putting on his coat slowly open the door

" I need to go to the bathroom." He slowly mumbles slipping from his mom grasp making his way down to the hall.

"Here." Denise jerks at the voice coming from her right. Nick's doctor handed her a water bottle "For the ride to the hospital."

"Nick went to the bathroom?" Watching Denise nod. Her hand fumbling around in her purse for her car key. Her action where rough and jerky ending up dropping her whole purse. Thing spilled out

"Fuck." Denise let the swear slip out. Kneeling down to desperately try and clear the mess.

" Denise, it's ok." Slowly kneeling down to help the mom of four. " Nick is a strong kid he will be ok." Trying to give some sort of reassurance.

" Kim, how can you tell me that? You just told me he was going to have to do injections for the rest of his life. Looking at up at her family doctor and her friend. Slowly raising back up letting out a sigh. Securing her purse back on her shoulder key in hand.

"I am diabetes educated for kid and adolescence. As well as normal pediatrician. All be seeing overall of Nicks care and I am telling you this, not a death sentence." Giving her friend a tight hug.

That seemed to ease some of Denise's anxiety. She broke off the emotional hug wiping tears from her eyes. They could hear footsteps. Nick rounded the corner snuggling up close to his mom.

"You ready to go." Denise looks down at the young boy. He slowly looks up at her giving a nod. Licking his parched lips not sure if he should say anything to his doctor. But in the end, he decided to say nothing. His mom leads him out of the doctor's office. He felt rain pelt down on his uncovered head. He didn't have any energy to care slipping in the car.

"I need to call your Dad, so he can meet us at the hospital." Anxiously watching her son look out the window he made no indication that he heard any of her words.

"Nick!" Her voice growing in concern snatching her son's hand. " Nick look at me pleases."

"What do you want me to say? He snaps back at her jerking his hand away. He felt anger boil up inside of him. Looking out the window, his whole world was flip upside down.

"Don't get mad at me please I'm scared to." Tuck some hair behind his ear. " you don't have to talk to dad but still need to call him." Digging in her purse pulling out the water bottle."If your thirsty all place in the cup holder for you ok. Sliding it in before pulling out her phone ready to make the difficult phone call home.