First Jab

Resting the lancing device on the side of his fingertip of his ring finger. Just like his nurse taught him yet he couldn't will himself to press the button. greeted his teeth in frustration why was this so hard.

Looking up at his mom feeling dumb he needs to learn how to do this. But something was stopping him was it fear grief denial. All those thoughts fluttered in and out of his mind like an open window on a cool summer day. Expect it wasn't a cool summers day it was the middle of November he was in children's hospital. Learning to live with incurable diseases that almost took his life.

Now anger that he was allowing invisible force to control him with iron chains he pressed the button a small needle stabbed into his finger he jerks with discomfort.

" Nice job Nurse Mary praised him " now squeeze your finger to allow the small drop of blood and put on the test strip handing him a glucose meter

He watches the blood get sucked up by the test trip for it to count down from 3. He wipes the tiny drop off with kleenex as the meter beeped twice letting them know he was still out of range the number pop up 245.

" oh, awesome." Mary took the test strip out of the handheld device. " I think that number deserves some breakfast don't you." Smiling up Nick who smiled back at the mention of food finally he hadn't eaten since yesterday morning.

They had taken one of his IV out so he had least his right hand free to eat his bacon and eggs that he had ordered. Looking up at his mom she had watery eyes trying to look away. But Nick had seen the look and the worry mix with proudness of him slowly starting to take charge of his new life. His dad rested his hand on his shoulder

" Good Job son." his voice quivered a little but he quickly tried to keep his emotions in check

" But his blood sugar still in a higher range," Denise spoke up she was surprised the nurse was happy with that number.

" your right." Mary spoke but it comes down a lot for 24 hours which is very good news." We don't want it to fall too quickly either cause then he will end up with hypoglycemia which is not good either.

"What's hypoglycemia?" Nick looked at his mom then back at his nurse. That was not termed he had heard yet or maybe he had and just forgot cause he was so overwhelmed yesterday.

" Hypoglycemia is when your blood sugar drops under 70." She slowly explained to the family " we always want you to be between 70 to 120."

" so what happens if he drops under 70. Kevin Sr raised her eyebrows surprised no one has spoken to her about this problem.

" You give him fast-acting carb or something that high in sugar like a juice box." Mary could see the confusion written on Mrs. Jonas's face. " I am sure doctor Brown and the diabetes educator will talk all about today."

" wait didn't you give my brother juice yesterday when he passed out." Nick quickly had a memory of his brother laying on the ground being encouraged to drink a small juice box.

" Yup." Mary nodded " sometimes when you faint it can be because your blood sugar drop and your liver cant spill enough glucose into your bloodstream fast enough to bring it up."

" you can also drop from giving too much insulin." She saw the scared look the two parents gave each other " Don't worry we make sure to understand everything before you leave the hospital in a couple of days." Quickly trying to ease their anxiety.

Nicks worries quickly vanished when he saw a nice cart of food get wheeled into his private room. He could feel his mouth water looking at the plate of eggs and bacon.

Denise let out small laugh food was always something that motivated her son. If he wasn't such a good singer and actor she might have thought being a cook might be in his wheelhouse.

Mary quickly pressed some button on the many machines that were behind him. Denise placed the food in front of her son helping him open the cutlery. " remember to take your time ok." She spoke sternly but calm she didn't want him to upset his stomach and end up throwing up all his food.

He nodded with understanding as dug into the scrambled eggs take nice a big mouth full. They taste so good he wasn't sure if they were actually good or he was just so hungry that his taste buds didn't care.

" When is he going to learn how to take insulin injection." Denise poured a glass of water for her son sat down on the lap tray.

Mary turned back around writing something on her son's chart. " He will learn maybe in an hour when the diabetes nurse and educator come up to our floor." She clicks the pen close and puts it in her scrub pants. " for right now let the kid enjoy his meal.

Denise sighed she knew the real work was coming around the corner she just hopes she was ready for all the information that was going to come her family way. But for now, she allows herself to feel happy that her son was having a delicious meal right in front of her.

Nick was flicking through some TV channels that were on the wall when he hears his door open he turned to see his doctor and two other women followed in after him. He slowly sat up turning off the tv looking at his mom.

" Good morning Mrs. Jonas Nicole and Mr. Jonas" Doctor Brown slowly walks in a smile on his face. " Did you sleep well, Nick?" He picks up his chart flipping through nodding at the information handing off to one of the ladies.

" I slept ok sir." Nick look past the doctor to the woman who had his chart she had blond hair she was wearing black high heels her foot tap on the floor.

The other woman wasn't wearing anything that made him think she was hospital staff. Her energy made him nervous. She had short hair it was dark black and was straight it sat below her ears. She smiled at him softly.

" Good did you throw up in the middle of the night?" He slowly sat down on a stool wheeling over to him putting on latex gloves.

" No sir my stomach hasn't hurt in a couple of hours." Looking at his mom for confirmation. She gave a soft nod letting him know he was doing a fine job on his own.

" Good." Doctor Brown nodded. " can you lay down for me just want to do check your stomach." Allowing the teen side into lay position on the bed. His hand slowly pressed around the teen abdomen to check for any tender areas. Or to see if any organs seem to be swollen in any way everything seems to be in working order. Which shocked him from the young child's blood sugar almost 24 hours ago.

" Ok, you can sit back up Nick." He turned to the woman that had blond hair and a long white Lab coat under her dress " This is kelly Markson she is are diabetes educator and nutritionist." Who will be helping us today."

" Hi," she put down clear inclosed box at her feet and shook Nick and her mother's hand." I promise by the end of the two days you guys will have a better understanding of how to treat type 1 diabetes." Turning more to Nick as she spoke with a sense of confidence.

"We also have our lovely child service worker Mrs. Sara Jonson who will be watching of the sideline today." Doctor brown spoke with praise in his voice.

Denise could feel her face go red shaking Mrs. Jonson's hand. Why was CSW here? Did they not think she could take care of her son.

" Don't worry Mrs. Jonas all be in the corner just writing things down. Mrs. Jonson smiled she could see the fear in the mother's face. There was so much miss information when came to social workers and just wanted to make sure the family had support. Slowly sitting on a chair in the back pulling out notebook pen in hand.

Nick looks at his mom and dad he bit his lower lip in anxiety. He could feel his hand sweating he wipes them on the sheets. Looking up at the woman who was going to teach him about Diabetes he wasn't sure if he was ready.

He was going to be thrown into the world and he was never going to go back to normal life. He will never be able to look at his world the same again. He will always have to be one step ahead to make sure his health came first. It would be in the front of his mind like a heavy blanket that will never leave his shoulders.