Wolf Pup

Joe and his two brothers piled into the van. Nick and their mom had taken the small car to drive to the clinic early this morning. He watched their father clip Frankie into the car seat beside him. Kevin was putting the last bit of luggage into the back of the van.

" Ok, I think we are set." Kevin slammed the trunk closed making his way to the front seat sliding into the passenger's side of the car.

" What time do think it will take to get there." Joe clip his seat belt in getting himself situated. Looking out the window they slowly pulled out of the driveway.

" If the traffics was good it should take less then an hour." Their father spoke up. " But it is the middle of the week so I have feeling it might take an hour." Turning onto the main road out of there development.

" So they took Nick and mom up to the ICU." Kevin sip some coffee sitting it back in the cupholder. Watching the cars pass them.

" Yes, they have been up there for 30min now," Kevin spoke up taking look at the rearview mirror making sure Joe and Frankie were doing ok.

" ICU is bad right." Joe looks up at his father. " "it means he really sick right." He stumbled over his word fear sneaking in again.

" It not bad or good." Kevin Sr tried to keep level head about what was going on." It just means he getting the best care he can get right now." trying ease the anxiety that was raised in the car.

" You said they had put him on fluids and insulin?" Kevin tried to remember the medication. Looking at his father he got a slow nod back.

" Hey, look isn't that spot we normally have to pull off for Nick whenever we have come back home. Kevin let out a soft laugh. No one seems to find it funny at the moment. His laugh slowly stops feeling shamed.

" Do think his drinking and peeing have anything to do with this Diabetes." Joe leaned forwarded watching his dad change lanes they merge onto the highway.

" Maybe." Kevin shrugged his shoulders. Leaning back in his seat closing his eyes. No other words were spoken for the rest of the car ride.

Joe was trying to catch up on some math homework. But he could concentrate on more than three problems. Butting the book back in his bag. Letting out a sigh he just wants to get there already. The traffic didn't have bad has predicted. They had gotten into the hospital in less than an hour around 45min to be exact

" Dad thinks visiting parking is on the left that for people going to the emergency room" Kevin verbally directed. They headed into the parking garage.

" Unless Joe needs to go to the ER for something." Kevin softly joked.

" Haha, your so funny." Joe rolled his eyes. He was not in the mood for his brother's bad jokes. His stomach felt tight he could feel his body start to shake little. He was truly terrified at this moment in time. This was becoming more real with every passing second.

" Joe can u grab Frankie stroller think it will be easier if we just put him in that." Kevin Sr spoke up he slowly drove into a parking spot.

" Um..sure right I can do that." Joe unbuckled and slid the van door open to grab the stroller from the back.

" You sure you ok." Kevin grabbed the two suitcases out of the trunk so his brother could grab the stroller from behind the suitcases.

" Yeah just worried." Joe climbed into the back quickly pulling the collapsible stroller out.

" you look little pale." Kevin gave his brother look not convinced the 15-year-old was ok.

Joe ignored Kevin's concerns rolling the stroller over to his father who was unbuckling the 5 years. Setting the child into the stroller. The kid was smiling like mad. Joe wishes at that moment he was that naive.