Ignorance Is Bliss

"All be right overall all get the boy to pack some clothing for you and Nick. Kevin Sr was leaning against the counter. " Nick everything will be ok, just, have faith." He could hear the poor kid sobbing. It broke his heart that he couldn't soothe his son.

"You guys should start driving call me when you guys get settled." He nodded humming a couple of times. " ok am going to tell the boy loves you both be safe Denise. He heard the phone beep letting him know the phone call had ended slowly setting on the kitchen counter.

"Was that Mom and Nick." Joe peaks his head in the entrance of the kitchen. "Are they coming home? Slowly slipping in. He could sense something was wrong his dad's eye where watering. Stopping dead in his tracks, he felt his heart drop into his stomach.

"Dad what wrong with Nick"?

"Your brothers heading to the hospital." Slowly looking up at his son, he didn't know a lot of the details. He just had the name of illness type 1 diabetes. He had worked with some people who had diabetes. He really just know the term more than anything

"Can you get Kevin so we can talk more in the living room." Leading the teen to the staircase gently pushing towards them. He needed a moment to try and register the info watching Joe run up the stair in his sock feet.

His little brother was going to the hospital he couldn't fully understand what was happening Is it cancer would Nick have to be on chemo. It made me sick to his stomach just thinking about it. Was he going to die he stumbles grabbing onto the railing?

"Joe? Hey, buddy come back to me men you look like you seen a ghost."Kevin found his brother stand in the hallway gripping the railing of the staircase. He was horribly pale he tapes him on the face which seems to bring him back to reality.

"Joe you ok did dad receive news about Nick." Stepping back giving his brother room. To try and shake off whatever spell he was under.

Clearing his throat looking at his big brother. " Kev Nick is going to the hospital." Moving away from the railing wiping his sweaty palm on his pants. " Dad wants to talk with u downstairs."

"Ok, we can do that." Leading them both downstairs. Not letting go of Joe's shoulder. It didn't look like he was fully all there yet. They didn't need Joe to take a spill down the stairs right now.
" Go to dad all get something for you to drink." They went their separate ways for a minute

Joe took a sip of his water waiting for his dad to speak. Grateful that Kevin had thought of the water his throat felt super dry right now the anticipation was killing him.

Kevin Sr took a deep breath. " As you know Nick and your Mom went to the doctor's office this morning. In the process, he was diagnosed with a condition called Type 1 diabetes." Taking a sip of water clearing his throat.

"what does that mean," Joe spoke up panic was filling him his hands where shaking? He felt his father grab his hand.

"All I can tell you is Nick needs to take insulin I believe." He was trying to remember any form of diabetes information. He might have gotten being a pastor, but he was coming up with nothing.

" What is insulin? Kevin spoke up "I know learned a little bit about diabetes in science class."

"What have you learned? Joes pick some lint off his jeans. " I mean heard the term used around. But never met anyone with it." Looking at his brother who was sitting on the floor next to him.

"Something about how it caused by eating to much sugar and being overweight or something like that." Kevin couldn't help let out a snort. He could not imagine his little brother being overweight he was far from it.

"wait but Nicks not even close to that." Joe laughs along with his brother. It felt good to let out an emotion that wasn't crying.

Their dad shook his head at his two boys silly antics. Sipping some water slowly getting up off the floor. " boys do you think you can help me grab clothing for your mom and activities for your brothers to do."

They quickly nodded they wanted to make Nick hospital stay as comfortable as possible. The two-member of the Jonas household smiling at the image of their brother being overweight. Not knowing their brother was going to have to face those ignorant jokes and comments about his disease for the rest of his life. In turn, they will have to face the hard reality of stereotyping.