JADE [49]

(Monday)  (February)

-JADE-

{Part II}

Lehi: Hello, please make sure you VOTE and COMMENT! Do it now so you don't forget.

MELANIE's BELLY has gotten so much bigger since the last time I saw her.

"Oh my God, baby girl is growing!" I exclaim, reaching a hand out to touch Mel's protruding belly after I've successfully let her in. Mayra tails after her, carrying a big bag and portraying a smile.

"And kicking up a storm like she doesn't understand that she's inside of somebody else" Mel rolls her eyes. But even then you still see the happiness in her eyes.

"Which is so freaking crazy when you think about it. You're a person carrying a little person that will someday become a big person" Mayra adds, walking into my kitchen and unloading what's in the bag. "I hope you don't mind that I'm in your kitchen"

I shake my head and wrap my arms around Mel. "Hey, Mrs. preggers" I kiss her cheeks.

"First it was Mrs. Davis, and now it's Mrs. preggers? Whatever happened to, Mel?" She chuckles over my shoulder.

"You're married and pregnant" I kiss her again before walking into the kitchen to go hug Mayra. Since she was busy bending down to put some fruits in my already stocked fridge, I hug her as awkwardly as I can. She comes up with a chuckle and throws her arms around me.

"Mm, we definitely have to make a toast," Melanie says behind her glass of grape juice a few minutes later. All four of us are sitting in the middle of my living room with glasses of wine in our hands. Thanks to Mayra, we're on our second glass.

"Yes," Mayra agrees, already lifting her glass in the air and waiting.

"I want to say how happy I am that my sister has returned home because only God knows how much I've prayed for this moment. I'm happy that you chose you" Mel reaches out a hand to touch my thigh. Her eyes hold the same love and sincerity as they've always had. "I would like to make a toast to Jade"

"To Jade," we say in unison and clink our glasses.

This moment right here has been embedded and encrypted in my mind forever. I will never forget it. The warm, raw emotions that I feel right now, I'm thanking God for them. In this moment, I feel loved. I can see it on my friend's faces when they look at me, hear it in their voice when they talk to me, and perceive it when they smile at me. This moment is perfect.

They say that you never cherish a moment until it becomes a memory, but I don't agree today. I'm cherishing the hell out of this moment while I'm in it. I'm cherishing every story that Melanie tells. Every embarrassing tale that Mayra shares. Every laugh, every swat, and every playful taunt. I'm cherishing it all now, and always will until the day I die.

"Wait, so how many times a week do you think a married couple should have sex?" Kiana asks after all the laughter dies down.

I was mentally appreciating the moment for so long that I missed the beginning of the conversation. Cause, how the hell did we get here?

"I say as many times as they can" Mayra answers, bringing her glass to her lips again to take another sip. "Sex plays a very important role in a marriage"

Melanie nods "I agree"

"So, do you think a marriage that consists of two young people can be successful without sex?" Kiana sips her wine.

"I don't think so" Mayra scowls. "What do you think, Jade?"

I look up from behind my glass and release a small deep breath. "Maybe, if they're doing it with other people" I shrug. I can't think of any good, logical reason why I would be married and not jump my husband's bones every chance that I got. "What about you, Mel?"