Heavy sedation

It was early afternoon before Bucky heard any updates about the incoming flight. He'd heard from Steve a few hours after the initial texts saying that they'd been dropped off at the new safe house and were regrouping. Steve still didn't have much else to update him, but Bucky was just glad to hear some news. He had been anxiously awaiting any updates from the quinjet and hadn't received word for nearly half the day.

Finally, Bucky's cell phone started ringing, Natasha's name on the screen, and he immediately answered.

"Hello? Natasha?"

"Hi Bucky, it's T'Challa. I borrowed Natasha's phone since she has your number."

Now Bucky was more worried, but did his best to steady his voice. "Oh, ok. How's Natasha?" He wanted to ask why she wasn't the one calling or if he could speak with her. He wanted to ask a hundred questions, but restrained himself.

"She's alright. I'm going to be arriving in about 20 minutes. I thought you might want to meet us in the hangar."

Bucky gulped hard. "Can I... can I talk to her?"

"Right now, she's heavily sedated, but she's ok. I can give you a full update when we arrive. I just wanted to give you the heads up that we're close. Steve said you'd want to know."

"Yes, thank you. I'll see you soon."

The phone call was brief and it had Bucky's stomach flipping. 'Heavily sedated.' Even though both T'Challa and Steve had been reassuring in their brief discussions with him, this sounded bad and no one was telling him details. It made his mind run wild with possible scenarios.

Bucky hopped off the couch and ran back to his room. He threw on a clean t-shirt, a pair of jeans, and sneakers, having gotten back into a pair of pajamas after his shower earlier this morning. He went to the bathroom and splashed some water on his face. He looked awful, but that really couldn't be helped much after not sleeping most of the night and worrying all day. So, he ran a brush through his shoulder-length brown hair and headed down to the hangar.

Bucky sat on some crates in the hangar bay, leaning forward with his elbows on his knees, starring at his hands. He did the same thing he always did when he was anxious, running his right thumb over the back of his metal hand. He thought to himself that one day he was going to rub the metal straight through from having done this action so often. But it was soothing, so he continued nonetheless.

After about 15 minutes of waiting, he heard the quiet approach of the quinjet. He stood up with a start, shoving his hands in his pockets anxiously. He walked toward the hatch on the back of the jet, waiting to see T'Challa and Natasha.

"The White Wolf. I should have expected to find you here."

Shuri walked up behind Bucky, putting a hand on his shoulder. Normally he would have heard her coming, but he was so focused on what the hatch would show when it opened, that he was completely unaware of his other senses. He jumped at the sound of her voice.

"Sheesh Shuri! You scared me half to death."

Shuri smiled at Bucky, clearly having achieved the desired effect of surprising him. "Come on, let's go help."

Shuri walked forward just as the hatch was opening. Bucky looked towards the lowering gate to see T'Challa standing next to a gurney with an unmoving Natasha. Bucky slowly stepped towards them, feeling his heart sink into his stomach, hoping his knees didn't give out from under him as he moved.

"Big brother, looks like you had a lot to deal with." Shuri said approaching Natasha as they gently rolled the gurney off the quinjet.

Bucky moved to Natasha's side and looked her over. She was strapped down at the arms and legs, with an IV in her hand. She had one of her ankles well-splinted and her chest was wrapped in bandages. Her one leg of her leggings was cut up to the hip revealing a deep cut on her thigh. Her sweatshirt, or rather Steve's, had been cut away and was laying in a pile behind her head. Her face was bruised above one eye and her lip was split. Bucky's blood ran cold at the sight of her.