Missing home

"Natasha cooked?!" Steve practically shouted with shock.

"Ha ha, yes."

"She cooked food?"

"Yes, food."

"Something other than PB&J?"

"Yes, pasta and meatballs. And salad." Bucky continued to answer Steve's questions, entertained by his incredulity.

"And you survived to tell the tale?"

"Alive and well. She did great, with a little coaching."

Steve was nearly speechless. Bucky laughed as Steve took big pauses. "I don't even know what to say. I'm in shock."

"I can tell." Bucky was confident his smile could be heard in his tone. "I'm not sure when she will be willing to give it another go, but I was just proud that she gave it a shot."

"For sure. I mean once in three decades is still quite an achievement when it comes to Natasha. So, I guess next time she cooks will be in her 60's."

Bucky hadn't heard Steve so entertained in the longest time. "Yes, I am still quite employed as the cook in the kitchen."

Steve calmed his laughter and paused before his next line of questioning. "So..."

Bucky waited for the rest of Steve's comment, but it never came. "So... what?"

"So, what's going on between you two?"

Bucky laughed. "What do you mean?"

"Buck, you got Natasha to cook. I've known her for considerably longer than you and have tried numerous times. Clearly, you have a way with her."

"Well, you asked her if she wanted to cook with you. I told her that she was. It wasn't an option."

Steve wasn't going to give up on getting a real answer. "Seriously, Buck. Is there something going on between the two of you? You just sound... really happy."

Bucky paused, unprepared to be called out on any feelings he might have, especially since he didn't even know what to say to himself about them.

"No... I mean, no. We're friends. I'm  enjoying spending time with her and I can see why you are close with her." As the word 'friend' fell out of his mouth, it felt more like a lie than it had before.

Steve couldn't help, but smile to himself. "Well, I'm glad to hear you guys are becoming better friends. She's a good person to have in your corner and I'm sure she sees the same thing in you."

Bucky blushed and shuffled his feet. He was happy that it was just a phone call with Steve.

"So, how are things going with you guys? How's the mission?" Bucky was anxious to change the conversation.

Steve let out a huff. "Well, not so great. We started to make progress again, but then it turned out the intelligence we had collected was a red herring. Okoye made her way back in to recover more data, so we are trying to sift through that now. It seems like we may be looking at more than one location to deal with."

"You ok?" Bucky sensed the quick change in Steve's tone from moment's ago in their conversation.

"Yea, I'm alright. I'm just frustrated that we aren't further along in resolving this. I was so used to having Fury do most of the intelligence gathering and us taking the final steps in completing the mission. I wish I didn't have to leave you for so long after I just got back to seeing you after the cryo. I feel bad."

"Steve, it's fine. I get it. You guys have to take your time and be safe."

Bucky could hear some sadness in Steve's frustrated tone. "I also feel so bad about that. Nat has never been out of the game for this long. She never should have gotten that injured."