Waterfall

After Bucky's crisis of confidence that morning, he decided to follow Natasha's lead the rest of the day. Bucky had gotten so in his head, ruminating about the questions from the night before, that he was at risk of ruining the quality time with her. But between Natasha's incredibly high spirits and the time outside, he was hoping his mood would improve.

They spent hours walking over trails that stretched across the hills, ones that Natasha had walked many times before when she had first arrived in Wakanda. She served as a guide, pointing out particular sights along the way, landmarks or other beautiful little items, like a particular patch of flowers or row of trees. Bucky loved watching Natasha's mind work as she showed him all these things, seeing through her eyes what was most beautiful to her. How could his mood not lighten watching her eyes light up as she shared the things she loved with him?

They continued along the paths for a long time, finally moving through a wooded section where the trees connected over the dirt in an archway. It was clear that they had naturally grown together, bridging above them. If Bucky had stretched his arms fully above his head, he might have been able to feel the where the branches connected. Bucky was in awe of the magic of this natural wonder, surrounded by the bark and leaves, light peaking through to illuminate and create patterns on the ground.

Natasha smiled brightly at Bucky and offered a hand for him to follow her, seeing the awed expression spread across his face. He took it, allowing her to continue to guide him to whatever she had in store for him next. He couldn't believe he hadn't explored the landscape in Wakanda more for all the time he'd been there. Clearly, he'd been missing out on it's secrets.

Not far past where the trees opened up, Bucky heard the sound of rushing water. Moments later, they turned the corner past a rock wall to find themselves next to one of Wakanda's many waterfalls. Bucky had heard of places like this because he knew that traditional Wakandan ceremonies were performed in or around them, but he had never actually been to one. This one was secluded, surrounded by rock faces on all sides except where they entered, the water lightly crashing down into the pool from the far side of the cliffs.

Natasha walked to the waters edge and gazed up at the waterfall. With the mist floating around her toned figure, she looked almost mythical. As she turned around to face Bucky, her face peaceful and delighted, he was lost for words.

"Come here!" Natasha beckoned him next to her, hand outstretched. It took a moment for Bucky to blink back to the present before walking to meet her.

He stood next to her, feeling the mist from the falls hit his skin. This place felt almost unbearably special, almost sacred, and he felt so blessed she had taken him here. He looked down at her standing next to him, with her eyes closed, breathing it in. She'd never looked more beautiful. 

Natasha finally opened her eyes again to look at Bucky. She had been delighted to share this with him. When he'd suggested going for a walk, she'd know just where she wanted to take him, this secret spot where she hid sometimes. Okoye had told her about it when she first arrived. The women were very similar with their tough exteriors and occasional need to escape.

All day, Natasha had been hoping that she could help Bucky lighten his load from whatever had been burdening him this morning. Looking over his face now, he finally seemed to be relaxing, looking much more like the man she usually saw and the one she danced with the night before. Finally, Natasha let go of Bucky's hand and began to remove her sneakers.

Bucky watched, at first concerned, but he was still mesmerized and without words. She placed her socks and sneakers onto of a rock nearby and gently navigated her way into shallow water, barely covering her ankles. Natasha turned around to face him, clearly beckoning him to join her.