Chapter 10: Demons? Vampires? Ghosts?

Karma began to tell Nagisa about this mystery man he was making him meet.

"His name is Light but make sure to call him Kira when you meet him. He is actually the son of the chief of police, Soichiro Yagami. He's really smart and I have a hunch that he may already know what happened to you and why it happened." Karma explained.

Before Nagisa could reply, a boy who looked only a few years older than them began walking in their direction with his hands in his pockets.

"Is that him?" Nagisa speculated.

"Yeah." Light replied.

"Yeah what?" Nagisa asked, looking perplexed.

"You said, 'is that him'. So I said, 'yeah'." Light explained as if it was obvious.

"Yeah, but I didn't even say it out loud."

"True but it was obvious just by looking through your eyes. Plus your brainwaves were almost a dead giveaway that you were uncertain about who I was and you raised your guard the slightest just in case I was troubled. So piecing it all together wasn't very hard, it became quite clear you most likely asked yourself something along the lines of 'is that him'. Am I wrong?"

Nagisa was speechless.

"So Karma what is going on, I know you gave me a brief explanation but you said, verbatim 'I don't really want to say anything more, it's not really place cause this did happen to Nagisa not me after all. So I think it's best if he should tell you or at least I tell you in front of him'. So yeah I'm here now. What's up?" Light explained.

"Stop being so damn formal, you know it annoys me. Just because we haven't seen each other in a while that doesn't mean you have to stop talking like a normal person." Karma replied.

"Anyways, Nagisa do you wanna tell him?"

"Uhh... yeah sure." Nagisa said in response.

Nagisa began explaining the situation to Light, also known as Kira, and was continuously amazed by how unfazed he seemed. It was like everything was going exactly how he expected.

"Is there anything you would like to add before I give my response?" Light said.

Nagisa shook his head.

"Actually, I would like to add something. Nagisa, remember when you asked me to get your stuff from your room upstairs? Anyways I found this on the floor." Karma said, while holding up the syringe that caused all of this.

Nagisa felt his blood pressure rise slightly but Kira turned towards him and it quickly calmed down.

"Thank you Karma, this might prove to be more useful than you think." Light said, taking the syringe from Karma.

"Yeah, I thought it might contain clues about what was possessing Nagisa, I speculated it was some sort of demon, maybe a leviathan-demon or even a vampire-demon." Karma explained, careful to make sure he said it in a casual tone to keep Nagisa as calm as possible.

"Hmm.. It wouldn't be a leviathan. There was only ever a handful of them and post of them were exorcised a very very long time ago like really long ago. There is only one left that we have no knowledge of ever being exorcised but to be honest it probably tried to haunt some random guy and ended up getting exorcised by an expert but just wasn't recorded. A vampire-demon is possible but if that were the case it would have probably eaten away at Nagisa's body by now. There second only to the leviathans." Light replied.

"Demons?" Nagisa said, looking worried.

"Don't worry it's just a speculation and even if it was a demon, there are strong signs that it wasn't very strong or it's already gone as it's not in control of you at the moment and furthermore you're still alive. They usually like to kill the body they possess as quick as they can so they can have a new soul to torture." Light continued explaining.

"Oh." Nagisa said, a bit puzzled.

Karma tried to comfort Nagisa as much as he could to make him feel safe and reassure him that nothing bad was going to happen and even if there was a demon clearly he's stronger than it because it's not controlling him right now. The injection probably didn't work as well as Grisha thought it did.

"This might be a bit weird but Nagisa, could you just make an average-sized cut on the palm of your hand or something?" Light requested.

"Honestly, everything about this conversation is odd. I'm not even sure koro-sensei would have known what to do in this situation. So go ahead, pass the blade." 

Nagisa took the blade from Light and made a slit across the palm of his hand; he then made his blood drop on this weird textured paper Light held out.

"Hmm.. Nothing." Light said.

"What do you mean?" Nagisa asked.

"Well you see if your blood turned black, blue or white when it made contact with the material sheet then it would have proven you have a demon in you. Maybe it really is gone." Karma explained while he rested his hand on Nagisa's shoulder.

"I mean are you sure I cut deep enough? It doesn't even hurt anymore." Nagisa said, with visible confusion.

"Of course we did, you saw the size of that cut. I know we said average-sized but that was just flat out big." Light said.

"Hmm.. you're right." Nagisa looked at his palm only to see it was completely healed. Was he losing so much blood he was hallucinating?

"Nagisa are you okay?" Karma asked as he noticed the worried expression from earlier reappear on Nagisa's face.

Nagisa didn't reply.

"Your hand!" Light said in shock as he looked down at the boy's palm.

To their surprise Nagisa's hand was in fact completely healed.

"When does your school start again?" Light asked.

"In about two more weeks." Karma said, as he counted the days in his head.

"Eh, we'll make do." Light replied. "Nagisa, do you mind if you come home with me, we can figure this out properly then. I have a lot more stuff there and my dad isn't home for another month or so." 

"Sure, I guess." Nagisa said.

"Karma could you stay at Grisha's house to make sure no neighbours or friends come knocking also we're going to need to inform the police around a week before school but make sure we find Nagisa a new guardian first. Just report his uncle as missing about three days before school starts back, that should be fine."

Karma shrugged in agreement.

The boys went their separate ways, Karma going to Grisha's after Nagisa gave him the spare key he had and Nagisa leaving with Light to go and find out exactly what was happening and what to do about it.

"See you in a few weeks."