Chapter 16: A Break-In?

Karasuma and Irina decided to stay in a spare room at Karma's that night, just until they get Grisha's house checked out.

In the morning, it was still damp outside with small puddles here and there from the rain yesterday, the sun was out now though which meant it should all be dry again soon. Everyone in the Akabane house got ready, there was no rush of course but they did want to check this out as soon as they could, one thing Koro-Sensei taught them was to always be prepared for the worst.

They left the mansion and got in Karasuma's car. They Nagisa typed his uncle's address into Karasuma's sat-nav for him. They drove to Grisha's house, hoping that nothing would go wrong. In there car there was talking but it was obvious it was just to try and get their mind of things and not make Nagisa worry either. The conversations ran dry quickly so they had to keep switching topics and started playing word games and things along those lines.

Karasuma parked one road away from Grisha's house, just in case something was going on, he didn't want to draw too much attention by driving a loud expensive car right outside of Nagisa's uncles house.

They all got out the car and walked down the street to Grisha's house on Shiganshina Lane. They finally saw the house and from the outside it looked pretty ordinary. Everyone eased up a bit but not completely.

"Hey, so Karma where did you put this camera?" Nagisa asked.

"Oh, yeah." Karma said, as he walked up to the house. He turned to his right and bent down to look through a bush outside in Grisha's front yard. He saw a slight shine reflecting of the sun light so he bent down to try and pick up whatever it was. It was indeed the little camera. Strangely enough it just seemed to have somehow been switched off. He didn't know how because he could only switch it off from his phone but something must have happened. The camera was one of his distant cousins inventions, her name was Hinata Akabane. She was amazing when it came to creating things, coming up with them was a different story...she once wanted to make a toilet that flushes upwards. I don't know how that would help anyone.

Anyways, he seriously doubted she would have made any mistakes in her design. He would let her know just in case of course, maybe she could even find the camera footage of just before it was turned off.

Karma explained all this to everyone so they just decided to pick the camera up and then use the key Nagisa gave Karma to enter the house. They went in one after another, watching each others backs. Everything seemed fine and no one noticed anything unusual or out of place so they relaxed a bit. They were still alert though.

"Hey Nagisa, was this place always like this?" Irina called out from the garden.

Karma, Nagisa and Karasuma each went out into the garden. They saw Irina standing by the shed. They approached it, keeping an eye on their surroundings as they were now out in the open. It looked the same as always to Nagisa, he never went inside because it looked filthy but he could see all the cobwebs and things just like when he first arrived.

"What's wrong with it?" Karma asked.

Irina pushed open the door, only to reveal an empty shed.

"Is it meant to be empty?" She asked.

"Ummm..." Nagisa hesitated. "Well I've never been inside." He shrugged, slightly wishing he had seen it at least once before.

"Nagisa didn't you say your uncle was always in there though? Why would he be there all the time if it was just an empty room?" Karma questioned.

"Why would he be in there with all these cobwebs? I don't know he was probably going crazy." Nagisa said, with an unnatural laugh.

"Seriously though, Nagisa did you ever see your uncle get anything from this shed. Even just a shovel?" Karasuma asked.

"Uhh... no not really. I mean once I saw him go in there at around nine in the evening. He usually goes to his room to sleep at about eight thirty." It was weird because I was sitting on the window while on the phone to Karma for at least an hour and a half and I never saw him leave. No one would be in an empty room for that long, even if they were a bit crazy. Besides this was only a few days before he injected me with that 'thing'." Nagisa said.

"So you're saying you think this was like his 'lair', where he created things like that serum and ran tests?" Irina suggested. "Well if that is true then It's almost guaranteed the shed wasn't always empty."

"Nagisa, didn't you tell me Mika said he can peek into peoples memories he has met if he wants to?" Karma asked.

"Yeah, but I don't think that works on dead people Karma."

"Worth a shot." Karma shrugged.

"But I can't even control my subconscious yet, how am I meant to let Mikaela out."

"Hm... it's worth a try." Karasuma suggested.

Nagisa tried to relax and give in to his mind. A bit like how it felt when he was forced into a trance by light, except this time he had to do it all on his own without any sort of hypnosis. Karasuma and Irina didn't know hypnosis and Karma only studied a bit and then took a 'break'. 

Nagisa tried to control his subconscious but as usual, it just wasn't happening. He still couldn't do it.

"Sorry guys." He said, as he stood up.

"Eh, it was worth a try." Karma said, as he dusted the grass off of Nagisa from when he was sitting on the damp ground.

"Well, I mean if someone was here at this point in time there isn't much else we can do. I doubt they will come back but in case they do I'll get a few more cameras set up around the place." Karasuma said.

They all left the house simultaneously making their way back to the car, Karasuma dropped Karma off at home and took Nagisa with him and Irina back to their house.