Chapter 8

I burn out until it breaks me
Always sleep with one eye open
So would it kill you to be honest with yourself?
I'm not sticking around to find out

I burn out until it breaks meAlways sleep with one eye openSo would it kill you to be honest with yourself?I'm not sticking around to find out

There are two things I miss about having a phone.

One being the ability to play music.

I love music.

The ability to play a song to enhance whatever you're feeling. To feel connected through lyrics. It's a powerful thing.

Maybe I can go out and buy some CDs or cassettes, and a boom box, to use while I'm without the luxury of Spotify. Most of what I like to listen to is older anyway, so I'm sure a thrift shop has some CDs and cassettes of albums I like.

The other thing I miss about having a phone, is the power of Google.

You can find out anything you need to know with just a few taps on a phone these days.

Technology has single handedly saved and destroyed the world.

But that explains why I am walking over to Harley's right now. I need to use good ole Google.

"What do you need this time?" Harley deadpans as she opens her door. "Pixie and I are in the middle of a very important tea party."

"Can I use your phone again?"

"You should really get yourself your own. Don't you think?" She retorts as she hands me her phone.

"Don't need one." I shrug.

"You needing to borrow mine every few days begs to differ."

I glance down at the phone to open the Google app before flicking my eyes up to her big blue ones. "As long as I can borrow yours when I need to, then I don't need one."

"Harley!" A younger voice shouts from inside her trailer. I hear some feet patter and soon see a little blonde girl appear to stand next to Harley. "Woah! You're a tall girl." The little girl, who I presume to be pixie, says as she looks up at me with a shocked facial expression.

I run my fingers through my long curls to push them out of my face as I squat down to be eye level with Pixie. "I'm not a girl."

"You have very long hair for a boy then."

"Yes I do, but I really like it."

"Can I touch it?" She asks. Not waiting for my response, she reaches out to start playing with my hair. "Soft." She says matter-of-factly.

I go back to my Google search for the nearest payphone and place I can buy a boom box as Pixie does whatever she is doing with my hair.

The burner phone I got died. And I don't want to buy another one for one phone call.

This is the last phone call I need to make for a while anyway.

I'm not going to use Harley's phone to make this call. It's too dangerous. Especially if any of this gets traced.