Chapter Fourteen

Breaker's pacing back and forth in Max's office while Lucas sits with his son in the family room. Breaker's cell phone rings and he's quick to answer and listens intently to the caller.

"Yes Sir" Breaker says hanging up the cell phone and walks out of Max's study and over to Lucas.

Breaker explains that Evelyn is leaving shortly to go to the guest cabin at Lake Creek for a break and that he is to drive her their tonight. He also tells Lucas that he is to take both him and Grayson with them and Lucas looks concerned and asks Breaker about Raven but Breaker replies that Max didn't mention her and Grayson was in no condition to argue about leaving her behind and he probably doesn't even know what's happening. Breaker leaves the family room and heads upstairs in search of Evelyn and returns carrying Evelyn's suitcase. She follows closely behind him with a duffel bag she has slung over her shoulder and they descend the stairs together and he accompanies her out to his car. A minute or so later Breaker appears back in the house and Instructs Lucas to follow him out to the car. Lucas moves Grayson carefully and tries to get him to his feet but Grayson's legs won't hold his weight so Lucas throws Grayson over his shoulder with a cry of pain from Gray but Lucas rushes him out to the car. Breaker follows behind them and Lucas lies Grayson on the back seat of the car.

"Eric I'll follow behind you in my truck" Lucas informs them but Evelyn shakes her head and asks Lucas to drive with them as Gray will need him by his side.

Lucas climbs into the back seat, closes the door and pulls Gray's head onto his lap. Evelyn is already in the passenger seat with her safety belt fastened and Breaker jumps into the driver's seat and closes his door. He pulls on his seat belt and starts the engine as he takes a look back at the house and pulls out of the driveway but as the car jolts with the sudden movement Grayson begins coughing and it quickly turns into choking so Mrs Cookson explains calmly to a panicked Lucas to move Grayson off his back and onto his side and this will clear his airway and reduce the risk of him choking again. Lucas turns him onto his side as Instructed and Grayson coughs up a mass of blood from his mouth all over Lucas and the floor of the car but soon begins to settle again. He places his sons head carefully back onto his lap and strokes his blood soaked hair. Evelyn reassures Lucas that by the time they make the four hour journey most of Grayson's bones will have healed and they will get him to the reservation hospital then Dr Hemlock will be able to take a better look at Gray and see exactly how much damage Max has really done.

"I'm worried Evelyn that we may lose him before we get there" Lucas stressed.

Evelyn told Lucas that Gray had survived this long and with the accelerated healing, he should make it. Evelyn asked Lucas how he got Max to stop his assault on Grayson and he replied that by the time he got to Max's office and opened the door Grayson was shouting that he loved Raven and telling Max that she was his soul mate and this had stopped his advance. He then left the office and that's when Eric came in. Eric added to the conversation that Max had done a proper job on Gray but that he held his own and it's a good job he's as tough as he is because anyone else would had succumbed to Max's attack and probably died of the injuries Max had inflicted on Gray. Both Lucas and Mrs Cookson shuddered at this thought and Breaker concentrated on the road ahead as the weather was closing in as it began to rain. 

The sky darkened with thick swirling deep grey clouds taking hold up ahead of them. Evelyn continued to check on Grayson during the journey and got Lucas to regularly check his temperature and told Lucas that if he started heating up rapidly to tell her as that could be a sign of infection setting in. Breaker had put the air conditioning on cool and this was helping with managing Gray's temperature for now but there was still a very high risk of infection and although Grayson was a werewolf and his bones would mend themselves the deep gash to his forehead and facial injuries alone needed urgent attention and fresh dressing to keep them clean as they would take longer to heal. The rain was really coming down now and it was bouncing back up off the road and the poor visibility was concerning Breaker as he turned on his headlights fully to light the road ahead but they were not helping at all as the amount of rain was obscuring his vision. A loud crack of thunder made everyone in the car jump and a bolt of folk lighting lit up the surrounding forest with its jagged light. It was extremely dark now and the rain was so heavy it sounded like gunshots bouncing off the roof of the car.