Chapter 22 : Battle Plans. Featuring Empathy Links and War Councils via IM

"Grover? Can you hear me?"

Normally hearing voices inside your head would make most people question their sanity. But in Grover's case it was quite the opposite. He hadn't been happier to hear his best friend's voice again, especially when he had disappeared from camp the day before. It was a miracle that the campers didn't go into a war frenzy when two of their leaders and two newbies mysteriously disappeared.

"Yeah Perce. Where even are you? The campers are worried."

"Yeah... about that... Annabeth and Lou have been... possessed by the enemy and have kidnapped Lacie."

"Say what now?"

"Yeah... and I need you to listen to me very carefully."

Obviously Grover was baffled.
He listened as Percy told him everything. From the incident the previous morning to his talk with Poseidon and Athena. And finally his plan.

Annabeth was like a sister to him and he was devastated enough when he heard that his two favourite people had fallen into Tartarus. And it didn't help that he felt some of the pain Percy did... they haven't told him the whole story, but he knew some of it. Percy's guilt and heartache about Bob and Calypso, anger towards Akhlys and the repulsion he felt towards himself afterwards... and much more...

His own heart ached for them. No one had known the truth about how they really felt. He knew that Gabe's abuse and the deaths of the people he cared about during the first and second war and the incidents of Tartarus affected Percy greatly. Annabeth may act strong but living on the streets when she was just 7 years old and later seeing the death of Thalia whom she considered her sister (although she came back) and losing her brother Luke to Kronos and then later his death, and finally the two wars and Tartarus didn't exactly do wonders for her mental health either. And Grover found himself returning to Camp Half-blood whenever he can. He tried to spend as much time as he could with them (when he wasn't with Juiper). They were getting better and he couldn't be happier.

But now, Annabeth was possessed and Percy was forced to almost believe a fake betrayal. And with two other demigods, the four of them were caught in the thicket of war. War was inevitable. And it has begun.

-^-***

Percy looked at the two Iris Messages in front of him. Earlier that morning he had contacted Grover through a dream and asked him to inform all the counsellors of Camp Half-blood and the Senate of Rome to gather for a war council.

On one IM were the cabin counsellors and the Council of Cloven Elders along with Chiron and an annoyed Mr. D who were gathered in the rec room.
On the other was the Roman Senate dressed in togas, gathered in the Forum.

"Why did you have to annoy me now Perry Johnson?"

Percy almost wanted to roll his eyes at the god, but he didn't want to be turned into a dolphin before fighting this war. And as much as he liked if this war never happened there was nothing he could do. He steeled himself before he spoke. He didn't want to appear shaken before the others.

"The enemy we will face is Erebus, primordial of deep darkness and shadows"

A chill went through all who heard, and even though it was almost noon a shadow seemed to have passed over the sun as it grew darker and the shadows grew more prominent.

Chiron was the first to break the silence that has fallen over them. "It may seem impossible, but it is not. And I am guessing you have consulted Lady Athena about this?"

"Yes Chiron." It felt like a huge burden had b lifted from his shoulders. If Chiron believed in it, then it sure was possible.
"He is going to attack the two camps in three days. Around 6.00 p.m. as Lady Athena said cause he's more powerful at night."

"If he is attacking at night do we even have a chance of defeating him?" Katie voiced the question all of them were thinking.

"He can't attack the camps like Gaia did. His domain is technically in Tartarus not above ground. So his darkness is part of the void and underworld and above ground at exactly midnight. He can control normal darkness only because his wife is Night. So he's going to send the monsters to attack the camps while he stays on mount Tam."

"He's rebuilding the Titan palace. All the monsters are there." Hazel's voice was filled with worry. "There were a lot of monsters. Can we even defeat all of them?"

"Yes. We can. And we have to. For the sake of Olympus." It was a good thing Jason was a natural leader he supposed. Because a lot of them were nodding along and muttering words of agreement at his statement.

"Well, that's one problem settled... What about the big baddie?" Clarrise looked up from where she was carving her initials on the ping pong table with her dagger. "Got any bright ideas for that Percy?"

"Actually... yeah." He looked at Malcolm who was filling in for Annabeth. Percy was 99% sure that he knew what he was talking about. He caught his eye and nodded. "There's one way to defeat him."

-^-***

17th August, 2009

"Perseus, you are not the hero."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Word count: 904
Date published: 07/12/2020

Okay... after a very long time... Sorry for not updating sooner. I am busy until around August 2021... so I won't be able to write much... Sorry in advance!

And... the enemy is Erebus! A few have guessed correctly. And about that info on him. He is the god (or primordial) of deep darkness and shadows. And his wife is Night (or Nyx). The rest of it was what I think his powers and whatnot are like. And the way to defeat him (which will be revealed later) is my own addition for the sake of the plot. So don't go on sprouting Greek mythology at me or anything.

Anyways, have fun guessing how they're gonna kill him.
And entertain me on your own theories if you like.
And as always, constructive criticism is always appreciated.

Don't forget to comment and vote!

Love yourself and everyone close to your heart!

-CPR🎶-