Chapter 23 : Precautions

There was something about the nightmare he had that he couldn't shake off.

He had gone to sleep and for a few moments there was blissful silence before his mind was overtaken by memories. He relived both the Titan War and the Giant War. More specifically Luke's and Leo's sacrifice in saving the world... That was where the relatively normal part ended.

-^-***

Percy was confused. He had just ones again seen the explosion that killed Gaia. The explosion where Leo supposedly 'died'. Although he supposed it was not too bad that he was dreaming about the past. But as the sky exploded into red and orange flames he found himself being sucked into a dark inescapable void underneath his feet. He was gasping for breath clutching at his chest. As if he was drowning in his own shadow. And as soon as it started it was over.

Unsurprisingly he recognised where he was. He was on Mount Tamalpais. The dark fortress stood overlooking the sea at its' peak. The fortress made of obsidian rocks which was formerly home to the Titan Kronos but now housed a far more ancient being. Torches lined the hallways which gave an eerie glow when reflected.

'How can anyone live in a place like this? They would have to be hella depressed if they like this place.' Percy thought to himself as his shadow self descended to the lower levels of the fortress.

There were cells on both sides of the corridor. They were grey and surprisingly clean with vertical stygian iron bars trapping the prisoners inside. Almost all of the cells were empty except for a few containing monsters, ('Can monsters go rogue?') and in one cell towards the middle he saw Lacie glaring at the form of Lou infront of her clutching an unconscious Annabeth to her. Percy's heart clenched at the sight of her pale skin and dishevelled hair. He wanted to take her away from this place, or atleast offer a word of comfort. He wished he was there with her, but he couldn't do anything. They were relatively unharmed except for a few bruises on Lacie's part and exhaustion. He could only watch as Erebus who had possessed Lou stepped outside and locked the door to the cell.

Percy followed him as he walked towards the steps that led to the upper levels. He was halfway there when he suddenly whirled around and started straight as him. Lou's face was set in a sneer and his usual brown eyes had black shadows curling around them.

"I know you're listening Perseus Jackson."
Percy's body froze at hearing his voice. It was similar to what he felt when he faced Nyx and Tartarus. Ancient, dark and cold. A voice that sent chills through his spine and made his legs feel like jelly. All the cells in his body screamed 'RUN!' but he was frozen in place.

"You can not win this war Perseus. Join me and I will spare the Athena child. It seems that you have not believed what you saw in the woods... But tell me Perseus... When have the gods ever cared about you? When have they ever kept their promises?"
Percy heard the truth in his voice... yes... when have they ever cared for demigods...? 'NO!' He shook himself out of the thoughts that was whispering in his mind. Erebus was manipulating him and he would not fall for it.
Yes, the gods were not good rulers but they were better than most others and they still could mend their ways. Just a few days back Poseidon in a rare moment had come to comfort him in his time of need.