one

October 2
"Are you busy?" JJ asked as she brought a load of paperwork in Emily's office then saw Emily who was already filling some out.
"Nope, just keep it coming" Emily sighed with annoyance then leaned back in her chair as JJ placed the paperwork down and sat on Emily's desk.
"I already filled it out, all you need to do is sign it," JJ explained as Emily spun around in her chair.
"Have I ever told you how much I love you" Emily joked but JJ wished she wasn't and Emily wished that she wouldn't have to joke to confess her love for JJ.
Emily and JJ had been secretly in love for over two years but neither one admitted it nor knew how the other felt. Emily's new job of unit chief kept her from doing many things especially from confessing her feelings to JJ, who on the other hand was held back by her boyfriend Will, perfect in public, abusive in private leaving JJ with a deep depression and PTSD that no one knew about.
The pair were more than best friends as Derek liked to describe them "they are a couple without sex". Emily and JJ were each other's person, their shoulder to cry on, their partners, the one person who was capable of making them smile even on their darkest day. Emily and JJ were each other's happy, and each other's love, but would always be there if one felt any other way. Derek's small remarks and comments about JJ and her social life were usually all fun and games but bothered Emily and made her feel unworthy of JJ's love which she didn't know she had in the first place.
Emily and JJ had the superpower of being able to tell when the other was hurt even when they wouldn't admit it. When Emily didn't want to see anyone JJ was always there and the same happened for JJ. Lately JJ had been lying to Emily more and more about the way she had felt, it wasn't just the love towards Emily but all the hurt and pain caused by her relationship. The one thing that got JJ through the nights where she was beaten and raped by her boyfriend was the thought of Emily and how she would get to see her in twelve hours.
"Emily I-I love you" JJ phased out into a moment of finally confessing her love for her best friend.
"JJ- are you okay?" Emily asked as she knocked JJ back to reality.
"What?" The blonde asked
"Are you okay?" Emily repeated then grasped JJ's hand and Emily's soft skin on hers made JJ feel numb and she could guarantee that if she were standing she would fall.
"I'm-I'm fine, how are you?" JJ asked as she moved her hand but before she could Emily saw a bruise on her wrist that looked like JJ was possibly tied up.
"JJ, what the hell is this?" Emily asked with an extreme amount of concern and JJ yanked her arm away.
"It's nothing, I-I just fell the other day, Em I'm fine" She lied knowing that the previous night her boyfriend Will had tied her to a chair and raped her multiple times. JJ got up and walked out of Emily's office before her friend could say another word leaving Emily confused and severely worried about the person she loved.
JJ went back to her desk and sat down as the BAU doors opened revealing a young woman who looked only about a year or two younger than JJ. She had dirty blonde hair and dark green eyes. Her entrance completely drew everyone's attention except JJ and Emily's. The woman made her way to the first desk she saw, JJ's desk.
"Can I help you?" JJ asked looking up from her computer when she saw a small pride flag keychain on the woman's set of keys.
"Yes, I'm looking for the Unit Chief Agent Emily Prentiss?" The woman asked.
"Right there" JJ replied as she pointed to Emily's office. The other blonde went up the small flight of stairs then walked into Emily's room. Emily stood up and Avery was caught off guard by the chief's beauty.
"Avery James?" Emily asked as she put her hand out for the newest recruit of the BAU to shake.
"Yes, did my transfers go through?" Avery asked as she sat in one of the office chairs.
"They did and you passed your test with flying colors, welcome to the Behavioral Analysis Unit Agent James, we are glad to have you. If you go out there should be an open desk for you next to Agent Jaraeu the other blonde. And for right now so I can assess your skills you will be partnered with me" Emily explained and the two stood up.
"Thank you" Avery responded then left the room and went to her new desk next to JJ.
"Hey can I ask you something?" Avery said in a whisper to JJ.
"What's up?" JJ replied as she faced Avery.
"Is agent Prentiss involved?" Avery asked and it was extremely obvious to JJ that Avery had a school girl crush.
"Yeah, long time relationship" JJ lied then saw Avery's smirk turn into a frown.
October 9
About a week passed and the team had been getting used to Avery, but all she thought about was Emily. She hung onto Emily's every word and JJ could tell which made her grow jealous. Things in JJ's personal life got worse as Will hurt her more and more. Emily continued seeing bruises on JJ and got extremely concerned but JJ would never say anything about it.
The team was called into the conference room by Garcia for a local case. Multiple children were being abducted from the fair every year in the same spot, the same way, the same profile. Many parents heard a woman yelling for their child and after they looked around their own was gone.
"Okay so Morgan it's going to be you and JJ, then Rossi you and Reid and finally James will be with me" Emily explained and JJ grew a bit bothered.
"Why aren't we partners in this case?" JJ asked with a bit of jealousy that the whole team could see but Emily was oblivious to.
"Well since Agent James is new I need to assess her skill set so I know how she will better his team" Emily explained then gave JJ a look.
"If that's all let's go," Emily added, then walked out of the room with the case file leaving JJ who felt upset but didn't show it.
"A couple without the sex" Derek laughed as JJ walked out.
"What does that mean?" Avery asked while the rest of the team left except Derek.
"JJ and Emily, they're more than best friends, they are basically a couple. JJ has a boyfriend but that doesn't stop her and Emily from kissing on the cheek and on the head, they love each other, Emily and JJ are each other's person, each other's soulmate. They are everything to each other and it works because we are all family here, you'll see" Derek explained and Avery grew angry with jealousy and she wanted to be the one receiving kisses from Emily, who on the other hand didn't want anything like that with Avery, only with JJ.
The team separated into their SUV's and took off with their partners. Emily and Avery went to the field office, Reid and Rossi went to the crime scene and JJ and Morgan went to talk to the parents. Avery was intrigued by Emily's every move but didn't show it. Emily was still completely concerned about the bruise that she saw on JJ's arm and couldn't get the image of her loved ones hurt out of her head.
"Are you alright?" Avery asked as she could tell something was wrong with Emily.
"Ye-Yeah, I'm fine, just someone I love is hurt and I can't help, but um let's just focus on the case" Emily explained and Avery looked at her.
"I know that I'm new here, but I'm a good listener if you ever want to talk about it" Avery exclaimed with care and Emily didn't reply. The car pulled up to the field office and the two women got out and walked inside to meet the police chief.
"Unit Chief Emily Prentiss, and this is Agent James" The brunette stated as she shook hands with the chief.
"Thank you for coming, I'm The police chief here Grey Thompson... five years ago there was an abduction of a five year old at the state fair, every year since the same thing has happened, same day, same time, same way," Grey explained as they walked.
"Why are we being called in now?" Emily asked madly.
"We didn't put it together until the latest one... Amy Brooks, five years old with blonde hair and brown eyes, was last seen in a pink jacket and black sparkly pants with pink boots. As of yesterday at one thirty she has been nowhere, we had dogs search the park and we pulled security footage which led us to find that the dogs trail ended where a van was parked for twenty minutes before speeding off. We tried to get a license plate but the photo is very pixelated" The chief explained.
"We can send it to our technical analyst, she works magic" Emily laughed as the man led them into a conference room where they began setting up.
Within an hour everyone was back at the field office going over the case and profiling the best that they could with the information they had. The van belonged to a crematorium which quickly left them with a lead but nothing they could jump on without a stakeout. Emily wanted to pair herself with JJ but professionally she couldn't because she still was in the process of assessing Avery's skill set. The team split up into different disguised cars around the unsubs house.
"Hey" Emily texted to JJ who smiled at the sign of the message notification from her loved one lighting up her screen.
"Emily Prentiss, texting during a stake out who would've thought" JJ texted back and Emily smiled then Avery glanced over discreetly trying to read their texts.
"So how's James, better partner then me?" JJ asked jokingly.
"No one is as good as you my love" Emily replied and The blonde smiled at the only person who called her "my love",even though they weren't a couple they sure as hell acted like it.
"So umm what's your favorite part of a stake out?" Avery asked, interrupting the messages between her crush and her coworker.
"Probably catching the son of a bitch unsub" Emily laughed as she bit her lip which drew Avery's focus even more. Avery spotted something suspicious then quickly pointed it out to Emily. Emily glanced over and when she realized it was nothing she looked back at Avery. Their faces were so close that Emily could feel Avery's breath on her face. Avery could smell the lavender perfume Emily wore, because the brunette knew it was JJ's favorite and that it calmed her. The brunette tried to speak but was interrupted by Avery kissing her.