twenty-four

December 20
It was a little more than a year later. Emily was fully recovered and so was Elle. Henry had turned three and Elle was finally eighteen, she had also finally started dating Brayden which everyone was happy for them. Emily and JJ had grown exponentially closer and JJ felt more secure after Emily made her that promise in the hospital.
Life at the BAU was good, Jessica had transferred out and they finally found an agent that fit. Agent Tara Lewis. Emily was still unit chief, but there was a new section chief who was extremely homophobic so JJ and Emily had to keep their love life undercover and everyone went along with it. Although now JJ had legally changed her last name to Prentiss, her file still said Jareau and everyone still called her JJ.
Today was the last day of work before they got a small winter vacation and everyone was dreading it. The team was a family and they had planned a small trip together. They had rented a large cabin in the more woodsy area of Virginia and were heading up tonight. JJ was wearing a red skin tight work appropriate pencil dress and made her way to Emily's office.
"Knock knock" JJ stated as she walked in.
"Hi love, what's up?" Emily asked.
"So, I was wondering if you wanted to pick up Henry from Daycare when you get Elle from school?" JJ asked as she sat down.
"Oh I knew you were going to say that, Elle took her car to school today and is picking up Henry then meeting us at Ross's with everyone else" Emily explained and made her way closer to JJ.
"I knew I loved you" JJ exclaimed then looked around to see if Chief Grisgold was around before kissing Emily.
"I hope that's not the only reason" Emily smiled and pulled JJ closer to her. Emily slipped a small box into JJ's hand from her pocket and JJ's eyes lit up with shock.
"What is this?" The blonde asked as she made her way to the couch and Emily followed.
"An early Christmas present" Emily smiled once more and JJ opened the box to reveal a heart necklace with a diamond in the middle that was extremely similar to her late sisters.
"I know that Will took the necklace Roslyn gave to you, and I know that it's not the same, it took me forever to find one this similar but-" Emily started as she saw a small tear leave JJ's eye.
"But I love it, and I love you, thank you Emily"JJ replied and kissed her wife, she didn't care if anyone saw this time.
"Excuse me" A voice said and Emily turned her head to see the section chief standing in the doorway.
"Yes ma'am?" Emily asked with no hesitation at all. Chief Grisgold looked disgusted and she hesitated at first to speak but continued to.
"As of right now you and Agent Jareau are suspended from the FBI pending reinstatement" she stated madly and walked out. Emily and JJ shared a look and Emily stormed out after her.
"I'm not going to be suspended for the gender of the person I love. Jennifer Jareau and I have been married for three years and we have been together even longer, you cannot suspend us for loving each other!" Emily exclaimed and the whole bullpen watched the exchange.
"Amanda, you know damn well that we are the best team there has ever been, and that Emily is the definition of what a unit chief should be!" Rossi explained as he made his way to stand behind Emily. JJ made her way to her wife as well and they interlocked their fingers.
"If Emily is suspended then suspend me too, this team only works because we all work together, so if one of us goes we all go" Derek said as he also walked up with the others.
"I'm right there with you" Garcia exclaimed then she, Tara and Reid followed and by now each one of them was standing behind Emily and JJ.
"We all go" Spencer exclaimed with anger.
"All of us" Tara said and everyone took each other's hands.
"Do you really want to do this Amanda? Suspend a whole team. If you do I will go to the director myself, we go out together every Saturday, he is one of my longest friends. So what do you want to do?" Rossi asked and everyone looked at each other like they were about to say goodbye

(you guys ask and you shall receive. I have decided to continue this story and I couldn't be more thankful for all of my readers and supporters! 🤍)