eighteen

November 20
It had been about a month since Emily was in the hospital. She was still recovering yet able to go back to work but not in the field. Eliana had fully moved in with her mother and step-mother and was adjusting quite nicely. Her relationship with JJ had grown tremendously in the past month and the young brunette even began thinking of JJ as her mother too but never said anything.
The team had a couple days off of work so the Jareau-Prentiss family was home. Emily was inside thinking of presents to get for Eliana with her birthday coming up next week, while JJ was outside with Eliana doing some soccer practice before the indoor season begins. Emily made her way to the back door and stood outside watching the two practice.
"Nice job guys!" Emily yelled from the porch.
"Yeah Jen is good for her age" Eliana smiled and her parents turned to look at her.
"My age? I'm only a couple years younger than your mom. She's the old one here" JJ laughed and Emily looked at her with a shocked expression then came off of the porch while JJ put her arm around Eliana's neck
"I'm going to kill you" Emily exclaimed happily and made her way over to the other pair as Eliana began laughing. Emily chased the blonde playfully around their backyard and finally grabbed a hold of her and kissed her.
"Ewww" Elle laughed. JJ wrapped her arms around Emily and felt the warmth from her wife's body. The couple didn't realize but Elle took a photo of them together before Emily's phone began ringing.
"Prentiss" Emily answered
"Emily, it's Hotch I need you to get to the BAU right away, just you" Hotch explained
"Is everything alright?" Emily asked worriedly.
"Just get down here please" Hotch stated and Emily was worried, hearing him sound so serious.
"Everything okay?" JJ asked, pulling away from Emily but keeping her arms around her waist.
"Yeah mom, you sounded worried on the phone" Elle said and she made her way over to JJ who then wrapped an arm around her.
"She's right babe" JJ added.
"I think everything is fine, Hotch needs something, I should be back in a bit" Emily replied then lightly kissed JJ and patted Elle's shoulder. Emily began to walk away but quickly stopped and turned around as the other woman began their practice again.
"JJ!" The blonde turned around
"Love you" Emily added and JJ smiled. Elle could see how true her parents' love was.
    Emily made her way to the BAU and rushed to Hotch's office. The team didn't know but ever since Emily came back from Paris, she and Hotch have been best friends. She quickly opened the door and saw Hotch going over files at his desk, when he saw her worried face, it filled his with confusion.
"Emily, why do you look so worried?" He asked
"Are you kidding! You called me telling me to come here now, I thought you were like dying or something" Emily sighed with anger and plopped down on his couch then Hotch sat in the chair across from her.
"Emily, this was sent to me today," Hotch said, placing a file containing a photo of Jack at school being dropped off by Beth along with a note 'look at your family, they don't even know what's coming, only you can assume but you're not there to protect them'.
"What are you going to do?" Emily asked worriedly.
"I don't know, this guy's right, I'm not there" Hotch said and threw his head in his hands.
"Hotch, look at me, is Beth still overseas?" Emily asked
"-yeah" his voice let out a small whimper.
"Listen to me, this is what's going to happen, you are going to call Beth and tell her to get back here as fast as she can, Morgan and Rossi will take some agents and meet her at the airport, I will take Jack until we know what to do. This guy wants your family but specifically Jack, so we need to separate the lock and key, and I will be here for you, whatever you need." Emily explained and gently squeezed Hotch's hand.
"I knew you would make a great Unit Chief. Emily this guy's right, I'm not there to protect them, this isn't the only thing I've gotten, I just thought it was a joke at first from Morgan or Rossi. Listen Emily, I need to be with my family, I need to protect them and I can't do that anymore here. I love this job, but it's screwed up my marriage before and I'm not letting that happen again. I'm leaving the BAU, for good, and I want you to be Unit Chief again, Rossi said you were an amazing one and I believe it, please Emily do this for me" Hotch asked and Emily had watery eyes.
"I'm gonna miss you-" she punched his shoulder playfully.
"You'll be okay, I know you Emily, you can do this" Hotch replied and he moved next to her on the couch.
"Are you going to say goodbye to the team?" Emily asked
"I have letters for all of them, I'm getting on a plane tonight and Beth is going to meet me in Europe-" Emily quickly got up and went over to Hotch's desk then wrote something on a piece of paper.
"Here, this is my mother's house in Italy, and this is the number, if you ever need anything please go there, I can be there in eight hours if you need me" Emily explained and Hotch couldn't help but laugh.
"I mean it you jerk" Emily smiled and the two hugged, the last thing they would ever do as best friends.
"We will catch this guy, even if you don't come back, we will catch him" Emily explained and she pulled away from the hug then left the office. She glanced back at him and smiled then left the BAU and Emily made her way home.
"Hey Mo-Jen, come look at this" Elle called out from the living room. JJ turned the corner with Henry in her arms and saw the news on the TV. The blonde gave the baby to Elle and turned up the TV to see a major crash.
"Isn't that the same street that mom takes to work?" Elle asked looking at her other mom.
"Yeah sweetheart, yeah it is" JJ sighed.