Heading Home

As we head back to Ba Sing Se the sun starts to set.  Korrasami and the others were far ahead of us because Kai had to radio the gover of the state we were in. Something about an unsanctioned mission on that state's ground.

Kai got an earful from the governor about how it was reckless to even attack the airbenders. Thankfully the state's authorities handled it and soon those airbenders will be in a federal USOTEK(United States Of The Earth Kingdom) prisons.

I land Pepper in a state. Kai gets up. "Why'd we stop?" "It's getting late. It's hard to see in the dark." He nods. "Alright, I can get us a hotel room. Separate beds of course." I shake my head. "No, we can rest here if it's fine by you." He nods and he hops off of the bison. I throw him a sleeping bag.

He catches it. "Thank you."  I grab my sleeping bag and I slide off of Pepper. 

        He looks at me.  "So, uh we should build a fire.  This place has like a lot of wildlife, and most of that wildlife are predators.  A lot of Airbenders avoid this place.  This state's governor is also anti-airbender."  I nod.  "Uh yeah, we can build a fire.  I can get some logs and uh you can collect the tinder."  He nods.  "Alright." He runs off.

I gather large sticks and some small logs. I come back to Kai sitting down with some small leaves and sticks laying at his feet.

He looks up at me. "You're back!" He gets up. I put my stuff down. "Yeah." I start setting up a fire. He sets up the tinder.

We finish setting up the firewood. We look at each other. "Finally, do you have a lighter?" We say in unison.

Both of our faces fall. "Crap." We say together.

I chuckle. "Do you know how to fly a bison?" He laughs. "Yeah, kind of. I can ride a polar bear dog." "Ho—." "His name is Fang. He only has one fang. He's really cute." I stare at him. I blink. "What?" He sighs. "I have a polar bear dog named Fang." I nod. "I know, you told me." He looks at Pepper.

He sighs again. "So, uh I can probably fly Pepper." I smile. "Thanks, Kai." He nods. "Yep.  Totally.  You are welcome."  I laugh.  He starts to laugh with me.

We get on my bison. I sit in the saddle while Kai flies Pepper. I stare at him. "I'm surprised she's letting you fly her." He chuckles. "I'm just good with animals. They have like a thing for me." "A thing?" He nods. "A thing. I have no idea what that thing is, but I do know that animals love me." I chuckle. "Hm." He laughs. "I'm serious. How do you think I have a polar bear dog?" I cross my arms.

I arch my eyebrow. "Is he really your polar bear dog?" He sighs. "Haha, you got me. It is actually Rowan and Luta's polar bear dog. His name is Arrow. He is still a cutie though." I laugh.

He turns around. "So, uh is it okay if I put pepper down at my mansion then you fly her to your home? Uh sometimes the streets of Ba Sing Se aren't very safe at night. I'm trying to fix that." I nod. "Uh go ahead. Ba Sing Se's a big city and hopefully the city lights will be on." He nods. "They're always on." We fly for a few more hours.

      Shen lands Pepper on the outskirts of Ba Sing Se.  He we get off of her.  He hugs me. "Thank you.  Be safe and get some well deserved rest."  I look at him.  "I could say the same for you Governor."  I quickly kiss his cheek and I get on my bison. 

         I fly back to the house.  I land.  Ikki  is sitting on the back porch looking at the stables.

        I approach the porch.  "Where were you?!  I had to tell dad everything!!!"  "It got dark so I couldn't fly then we stopped to rest.  We decided to have Kai fly and now I'm back."  She leans on the railing.  "Ooh, tell me everything."  I look at her weirdly.  "Not to you.  I am going to bed because I am exhausted."  She nods.  "Alright, see you inside."  I go inside. 

Kai's POV: 

           I go inside my mansion.  Li approaches me in his full Dai Li uniform.  "How did your mission go?"  I shrug.  "It went good.  We got the kids back to their parents."  He nods.  "You have a butt load of paperwork.  Some jackass caught a warehouse on fire down at the docks and literally three warehouses ended up burning down."  I sigh.  "Alright, how much money?"  "About a hundred thousand dollars."  "That's all?"  He nods.  I chuckle.  "Alright then!"  "You have a mound of paper work though."  I nod. 

         We head to my home office.  I look at all of the papers.  I sigh.  "Li, please tell me I don't have to sign every paper?"  He nods.  "I'm so sorry Shen.  Look, I can get someone else to sign them.  They're not really meant for you, but anyone within Ba Sing Se's government."  I sigh.  "No, I'll sign them.  Get me my usual.  I'll be in here all night."  He nods.  "Alright."  He leaves. 

        I sit down in my chair.  I put on my glasses.  I click my pen.  I look over the first paper. Insurance, yay.

An hour or two in signing papers and I've only dozed off twice and I'm halfway through. Someone knocks on my door. "Enter." I sign a paper. I set it aside.

Li comes in. "Hey, need anything?" "Another cup of coffee." He sighs. "Shen, get some rest." "I have rested." He sighs again. "Bed, now." I groan. I pick up a paper and I look over it. "Okay, yeah." I get up and I leave my office.