The Virus

We wait for Kai and his doctor. We hear a knock on the door. I open the door.

Kai stands there with an older gentleman. The man enters with Kai. He holds a briefcase. "Hey, how's Rohan doing?" "He's getting sicker by the minute." Kai nods. The doctor sets some stuff up. My mother wakes Rohan.

The doctor takes out a microscope and he plugs it into an outlet. He looks at my parents. "Would you mind if I take a blood sample? If I am correct it seems that your son may have malaria. Malaria also has the same symptoms of Dump's disease.  Malaria is spread by mosquitoes in more humid areas." The doctor takes my brother's vitals as he chats to my parents.

The doctor takes out a needle. "Has he been in any states that are tropical or swampy?" I nod. "Yes, uh in Dump's state." The doctor nods. "Maybe Dump's virus is Malaria." My father looks at the doctor. "How do you know what malaria is? Is it not a fairly new disease? And if it's Dump's virus then wouldn't his doctors know?" The doctor nods. "Yes Master airbender, it is a fairly new disease. I only know of it because our last governor died from it. Shen's caught it once and that was at?" Kai nods. "Ember Island about a year ago I would say." The doctor nods.

He draws my brother's blood and puts it on a slide. He situates his tools. "Dump's doctors don't know about it. Word doesn't travel fast, and besides only a few cases have popped up like at least seven. Maybe more in the past but we only found out what's causing it in more recent times." My father nods.

The doctor looks at the slide under a microscope. He sighs. "Yep, malaria. Okay, I will bring some Dihydroartemisinin which is used to treat malaria. I will be back shortly. Have him take it maybe one every day for at least a week." My father nods. "Alright." The doctor gathers his tools and leaves.

My father smiles at Kai. "Thank you." Kai shrugs. "Eh, it wasn't anything Master Tenzin. I was able to help and I did." My mother smiles. "It was wonderful what you did thank you." "You're welcome." My parents leave the room.

Kai looks at my brother and chuckles. "Don't worry Rohan, it gets better. Trust me." My brother frowns. "When?" "About a few days or so." My brother quickly grabs a bucket and vomits. He lays down and groans.

Kai looks at me then to his watch. "Would you like to come over for dinner tonight?" I nod. "Of course." He smiles at me. "Great!" He leaves.

Rohan looks at me. "Thank you for dating him." I smile. "You're welcome. How are you feeling?" "Terrible. Think you have this disease?" I shake my head. "I wasn't bitten by a mosquito fly." My brother groans and he flops onto the couch. He vomits into a bucket.

Ikki looks at our brother. "Mind if I come to dinner with you?" Meelo holds his stomach. "I would also like to join you." Rohan glares at them. I laugh. "No. Maybe you two could eat out?" They groan. I laugh.

I leave the house. I go to Asami's hotel. I head up to their suite. I go into the room. Asami, Korra, and Mako are all sitting in the living room talking.

They notice me. Korra smiles. "Hey! The kids are okay!" I smile. "That's good, are they getting treated?" Asami nods. "I called one of the best doctors in the state and he came. He took their blood samples and said it was malaria. He gave us some pills and told us to give them to the kids once a day for a week. They're sleeping right now." "That's good." I sit down beside Mako.

He looks at me. "Jinora, I am sorry for calling you crazy and for not believing you."  I nod. "Thank you Mako.  So, Korra, did you and Sami get blood drawn."  Korra nods.  "I did, Sami didn't get any mosquito fly bites."  "And you have it?"  Korra nods.  "Yeah, but the symptoms are more mild.  Just muscle aches and a slight fever."  Asami nods.  "Yeah, and I told you to go get some rest."  Korra smiles.  "H—."  "No, the doctor said to rest, Korra." Korra frowns.  "Alright Sami, love you."  Korra leaves. 

      A/N okay, I know more about malaria now than I ever needed to know, so thank you fanfic!  This actually seems a bit far fetched in terms of medical stuff, but around the 1850s(this fic is set in the 30s since lok is set in the 20s)  mosquitoes were found out to have caused malaria.  Also I can't believe this fanfiction started out with Jinora bumping into a guy at a coffee shop then immediately saying "hmmm, he kinda sus Imma follow him"