Dinner the Fourth

Kai's POV:

I set the table.  Li comes into the room.  "Wow, Governor Shen.  Doing manual labor."  "Yep, Jinora is coming over and everything has to be perfect."  "You get tested?"  I nod.  "Yep.  It's negative."  "I'm so sorry."  He walks over and places his hand on my shoulder. 

     He smiles.  "We had fun while we lasted."  I step away from him.  "You're making me uncomfortable, and I mean negative as that I do not have malaria.  Why did you say that?"  He rubs his arm.  "Oh, uh why is it negative? Negative is bad!"  I sigh.  "Did you really just think that negative meant I had malaria?"  He nods. 

I pinch the bridge of my nose.  "Li, negative means I do not have anything."  He smiles.  "Yep!  I wanted to make sure that uh that you knew!"  I sigh.  "Please do not say anything stupid like that again."  He nods.  "Alright governor!" He smiles and awkwardly walks off. 

           Rowan walks in.  "Ambassador Ikki and her brother are here."  I chuckle.  "Really?"  I set the rest of the table. 

     Ikki walks in with Meelo.  "Can we please eat dinner here?  Rohan's like nonstop throwing up."  I sigh.  "Can you two eat out please?  I'd just like to have a nice dinner with my girlfriend."  Ikki nods.  "Alrighty then.  To the Jasmine Dragon then!"  Her and her brother leave.

Rowan looks at them then to me. "Girlfriend?" "Jinora." He nods. "That's great, my friend."  I grab a piece of silverware and my hand starts to tingle. 

          I look over at Rowan.  He looks at my hand and nods.  "Kai, you have a bit of blood on your finger. You grabbed the knife the wrong way." I look at my hand. It's covered in blood. I look at him. "I can see that.  Can you get the gauze, and Luta?"  He nods and walks off. 

              Him and Luta enter.  She looks at my hand and sighs.   "How are you that blind?"  "I do not know."  She takes out some water and runs it over my palm.  A large cut across the palm of my hand is now visible.  I hold my hand up as she wraps it.  "How's your girlfriend?  Is she coming over for dinner?"  "Yeah, uh that's why I was setting the table."  "Maybe don't grab a knife by the blade next time."  I laugh.  "I'll try."  She chuckles.

             "Kai?"  We hear Jinora call from the other room.  "In here!"  She walks into my dining room.  "Woah, Kai, are you okay?"  She walks over.  I nod.  "Yeah, I am now.  Thank you Luta, and thank you Rowan."  The couple nod and they quickly leave. 

                I pick up the now bloody silverware.  "I was not counting on you being early, so I am terribly sorry." "It's fine."  Li walks in.  "Rowan said you needed me to set the table, sir?"  I nod.  "Uh, yeah Li.  Can you?" He puts down some clean silverware.

I laugh. "Crisis avoided. Uh dinner won't be ready for at least another thirty minutes plus the clean up.  Would you like a tour?"  She nods. "Alright."  I smile at her.  "Uh, alright, follow me." We walk through the house.

We head to an art room. "Uh this room has portraits of all the governors." "So you, your mentor, and?" "Governor Zhang and Governor Chan." She nods. We walk over to my portrait.

It's an oil painting. I have my hair fixed tidy and I'm the only governor smiling. I'm sitting down with my arms resting on a chair.

We walk over near Governor Chan's portrait. His skin is fair and he has an Earth Empire uniform on.

I motion to the painting. "Governor Chan, he was appointed governor by Kuvira then was elected before my mentor. He only served half a term before passing. My mentor was his replacement. Both him and Governor Chan wanted to have something similar to what the royal family had, so they had oil paintings done." She nods. "When did he have this done?" "During Kuvira's reign. It took me seven hours for mine to be finished. It most likely took longer for him since it was eleven years before mine. I could understand him not replacing it." We walk back over to mine.

She smiles. "You are very handsome." "Thank you. I held the pose for seven hours. Smiling." She laughs. "It was worth it." I look at it. "It was, wasn't it?" I look at her and I smile softly. I smell dinner from the other room. "Uh, I think dinner is ready."

She smiles and adjusts her airbender robe. "Of course, I wanted to say something but didn't want to be rude." We go into the dining room. 

      We sit fairly close to each other.  She eats a noodle calmly.  "This stir fry is delicious."  "Thank my chef.  Uh you have a bit of sauce on your."  I point to my chin.  She wipes it with a napkin. 

           We quickly finish dinner.  I look at the clock.  "Uh, it's getting late, I have to sign some papers."  "Alright then, I will see you tomorrow maybe."  I nod.  "Yeah.  See you."  She leaves. 

A/N:  HOLY CRAP THOSE LAST TWO-THREE PARAGRAPHS HAVE THE WORST DIALOGUE I HAVE EVER WRITTEN WTF IS "SHE EATS A NOODLE CALMLY".  Sorry I've been gone for like a month.  I promise I was actually writing this.  I just had major writer's block when writing this like a creative wall that I had gotten slammed into.