The Trial

Kai's POV:

I put on my favorite suit. I quickly tie my tie. I head to my home office. Rowan's fixing my briefcase.

He hands it to me. "How did the date go last night? Meeting her parents is a pretty big deal." I chuckle. "It wasn't a date, it was just dinner." "Well, good luck at your trial." I smile at him. "I don't need luck. I have Avatar Korra." Rowan smiles. "Alright then. Are you free afterwards." I chuckle. "Doubt it." He nods. "Gotcha, I'll see you when you get home Shen." I nod. "Yep, see ya." I leave my mansion.

Li drives me to the senate building a few miles away from my capital building. It's a large two story building, it's a lot like my capital building actually.

I head inside.  It is very crowded with everyone already at their seats.  Dump and his staff have a glass box around them. I sit with my senator, Song, and Ikki who are already there. Song looks at me. "Well, you're late." I straighten my tie. "Sorry, I had to do my hair and makeup." The senator looks at us and then he takes a few notes. "Governor I think you should take my seat."  The senator and I quickly switch seats. 

Song looks at me. "I can't believe you're in the hot seat, Shen." I sigh. "Well sorry, I was trying to save my girlfriend's brother." Ikki laughs. "Okay." The president comes into the room with the panel of judges who will decide whether or not I am guilty.

"All rise for President Kiron, the Honorable Judge Keum, Judge Lee, and Judge Wing."  Everyone in the room stands up. 

      President Kiron approaches the microphone.  "Today we are gathered together for the trial of Governor Shen of Ba Sing Se. This trial was called by Governor Dump of  Gaoling.  I am here to listen to the arguments, but the decision will ultimately be made by our three judges."  He sits down and everyone else does. 

         Judge Keum sits down and leans onto the table where he and the other judges sit together.  "Shen, hello."  I nod.  "Good morning Keum."  Keum looks at the notes. 

    He glances at me.  "I'm used to you calling these trials."  He laughs.  "So, Dump as Avatar Korra as a witness along with a Master Jinora and Asami Sato.  Can these three women account for your whereabouts on the eighteenth day of the first month of spring?" I nod. "So can Bolin Beifong and his brother Detective Mako of Republic City." He nods. "It says here that you caused severe property damage." I shake my head.

He looks at me. "Dump filed the report." I nod. "He did, but I do not recall any property damage. I also had filled out a report as well." He nods.

Judge Lee adjusts his glasses as he looks at some pictures. "I would like for Mrs Sato to speak. I want to know why she didn't file a missing persons report as well as Master Jinora." Asami stands up.

She's a few seats away from us. "Yes your honor, I chose not to file a missing persons report because I am a citizen of the United Republic as are my children. Due to this country's laws I would have to file it with the police of Republic City and they would then have to send it to Ba Sing Se. I would also like to note the fact that Avatar Korra is my wife and we were both concerned for the welfare of our children." Judge Lee nods. "That is understanding, Master Jinora?" Asami sits down and Jinora stands up.

She looks at the judge. "Judge Lee, as you can see, I am a master airbender. I was just looking out for my brother. As Asami said, the paperwork would've taken too long and I was concerned for my younger brother's life." She sits down.

Judge Lee looks at me. "Shen, why didn't you go to the police? You swore an oath." I look at him. "Sir, I understand that this looks bad. During the time that the children went missing was during a meeting I was in with Avatar Korra. I made a judgement call then and there. I would let the authorities handle it, or let the avatar who deals with this stuff on an almost daily basis handle it. Sir when the avatar's own kids go missing while you've provided security for her and her wife. That just looks bad. I was not covering anything up and everything was justified and lawful. I wrote every little detail in the report." He glares at me. "You didn't answer the question." "I did contact the authorities. I told my police here what was happening and to be on the lookout. Look, it is not my fault that they didn't contact federal authorities. The federal authorities were contacted after the children were safe with their families." The judge nods. "That's all I need to hear." He looks at Keum.

Keum looks at me he then looks at Korra, Asami, and Jinora. "You three were the main three involved, excluding Governor Shen, correct?" Korra nods. "Yes sir. Bolin and Mako only played a small part of our mission. As did Meelo and Ikki." Keum nods. "As your avatar duties that you are allowed to do in the Earth States, off the books missions are not mentioned." Korra crosses her arms. "It involved my kids, Judge Keum. I'm allowed to do whatever I want whenever it comes to their health and safety. I could care less about the law. I just wanted my kids safe and sound. Do you have children?" Keum nods. "Yes, Avatar, I do and I understand your viewpoint. Although you violated the contract you had with our government."  "Judge, I am so glad you agree with my viewpoint.  I technically didn't violate our contract.  I had my friendly oh so friendly Governor Shen. Asami made me memorize every little detail of my contract incase something like this happened. If I remember correctly, if any mission is not requested by the governor of the state I'm in, but an emergency requires it, I just have to have a government official. Governor Shen is a government official, no?" Judge Keum nods. "He is, but he failed to apply our protocol." He looks at me as Korra sits down.

I look at Keum. "Keum, as I said, I alerted local authorities in both states. It is not my fault that those authorities did not notify federal authorities. I wrote it down right there." He nods.  "I see the report."  He nods. 

          Judge Wing looks at me.  "So, let me get this straight, a gang took Master Tenzin and Avatar Korra's kids.  The gang is working within our country and within the United Republic.   Master Jinora and Asami Sato witnessed it.  They took the law into their own hands and they saved the children." I nod. "Yes ma'am. I helped the women because I understand how losing a family member isn't the best thing to happen. I wanted to get the children so then the women wouldn't have to go through what I did with my mentor." Judge Wing nods.

She looks at the rest of the judges. They quickly talk. "Alright, we will reconvene at a later time and we will decide whether or not you will remain in your position." I nod. They leave with President Kiron.