Chapter 1: Zephaniah

Decades later...

Queen Zephaniah knew she did not have much time anymore. She was building an empire.

She was building it with her body and soul but she knew she didn't have the time to complete it. As history had taught her, she'd die as she reached the peak of her power.

Every Queen that reached the limit of their power, died. She didn't understand why. She tried to but she couldn't. All she heard were whispers of the anger the goddess supreme hand towards her kind.

How? How could she really achieve her plans? She had so little time but so much to do.

Before she was made Queen, she worked in the royal court as a guard in training. For the better part of her time at the court, she had witnessed the reign of two queens. After a while, things started to reveal itself to her.

From the moment she was announced Queen by the rule of cardinal she dreaded when it would be her time.

She couldn't even let love in because she knew she was going to die. Two queens before her died before their time, what makes her anything different? She thought, absolutely nothing!

She wished she had the time to do more but she knew, she knew she did not. She recognized the pattern, she wished she never did.

But she had to do it still. She had to build an empire for the reign of her kingdom.

She won many wars, she made claims to many thrones. It was just one left, she had to do it. She had to lead her army into war.

She didn't care about the consequences, it had to be done!

Years ago, she set out conquering kingdoms to strengthen Nydisia, however, Zelania and Cyrene fought greatly against her advances towards the remaining seven empires, seven years of war was all about to end with this one final battle.

"Your Majesty," Lord Henry said to her, "it is time." The man that fought by her side time and time again and never failed her stood before her ready for battle.

Her highness sighed wishing it didn't have to be this way. Although she knew what had to be done, she had to take her warriors, march onto that battlefield and win.

And that's exactly what she planned on doing.

All she had to do was conquer the Evracian empire and force them into submission as they were the last standing resistance.

The battle had begun, Zephaniah and her armies were in triumph. Sadly this had to be the day the reign of Queen Zephaniah came to an end.

She didn't just die at the hands of the enemy, she died saving the warrior that risked his life for her, time and time again. She died at the hands of a foe saving a friend.

--After the Battle of Evracia, The Royal Assembly, Outside the Royal Court--

Lord Henry's POV

"Queen Zephaniah has destroyed us! What empire do we have to go back to? Trade in the market has been dominated by Nydisa, we have nothing else to survive on!" A grieving civilian exclaimed, expressing her justified worries as similar cries echoed through the crowd.

Another stepped forth, "And what about our children? Nydisia has destroyed all the schools within Zelania and Cyrene, the remaining kingdoms. You have left us dependent on your kingdom, the nearest school is hundreds of miles away. Have mercy on our children or woe be to you that condemns us!"

Curses to the Nydisian kingdom roared over the court, we destroyed any source of education or medicine available to Zelania and Cyrene in attempts to stop them from rising up against us. However, as we've won the war, we can use their needs to our advantage.

I closed my eyes in deep thought, 'Zephaniah, my love, what would you want me to do?', she would want me to secure our position against the other two kingdoms.

After what seemed like forever, quietly I stepped back into the royal court ignoring the screams of the people in need.

Through all my years of worshiping Queen Zephaniah, she taught me that sometimes ignoring the needs of the present can lead to a path of achieving the wants of the future.

As the guards opened the doors to the throne room, after being summoned, behold there was Queen Vivian of Zelania and Queen Cylith of Cyrene, the leaders of the two remaining kingdoms. "My Lord," simultaneously they spoke as they stepped forward.

Due to the departure of Zephaniah, may she rest in peace, the Kingdom is in my possession until the Rule of Cardinal chooses a new Queen to take over.

"Do you have no shame? You put the rest of the world through hell and yet you sit on that throne without bloody care!" As expected Queen Vivian expressed her all too famous temper as I continued to ponder how to secure Nydisia's new-found land and power.

Queen Cylith stepped forward, standing directly at the feet of my throne, "My Lord, have mercy on the people if not us, famine is spreading throughout the lands, you have your empire what else could you want?" Very well, I shall do as they demand of me.

Slowly I stepped down from the throne and stood before them, due to my tall figure they had the look up at me.

"I will do as you ask, schools will be built for the young, jobs provided for their parents, houses will be restored to your citizens, and peace shall be upon your land," a sense of relief passed through their eyes but I wasn't done, "however, from this moment onward Zelania and Cyrene are under the control of Nydisia, every trade documented in Zelania or Cyrene will be sent to us, every action initiated will be reported to Nydisia and to be left pending until permission is granted to the motion."

Rage and fury ignited within the Queens but I smirked knowing they cannot refuse my offer even if they wanted to, without the help of Nydisia their economy would collapse and so would their kingdom. "You might as well be condemning us to kiss the soles of your feet, however, we agree to the terms." Queen Cylith softly murmured in defeat, satisfied with my decision, I sent for the advisors to prepare the decree.

After everything had been settled, I stepped out of the royal court to the infamous gardens accompanied by the knights. "A new age has come, one of peace, order, and growth. We need to fight to live it and fight to maintain it, the dark times are over. All we can do is pray that such a time doesn't arise again on Nydisia."

The General that fought by my side time and time again placed his hand on my shoulder, "Yes, Lord Henry, all we can do is pray."

-