Chapter 27: Festive Ball

Song Recommendation: 1) Anyone Retrieve the Woman 2) Shape of Lies -Thomas-Adam Habuda - (play the song when you see * in the chapter).

Katherine's POV

"How long is this going to take?" I wheezed, trying to ease out the discomfort my dress caused me.

"Miss, you're almost ready, please remain still," after brushing my hair, Lily began to curl by brown locks to perfection.

We arrived at the castle about a week ago, luckily we didn't have to walk.

Tonight was different from the annual festive ball, this year's ball is supposed to establish some sense of peace within the kingdom.

There were at least two balls held in the kingdom annually, the festive ball and the masquerade ball.

The festive balls were usually used to represent the kingdom's prosperity that year, whereas the masquerade balls were meant as a celebration for the reigning ruler.

Besides, it allows those of different social standing to meet one another.

"What about Elizabeth and Nicole? Are they still getting ready?" I closed my eyes while Lily sprayed a light layer of hair spray to hold the style.

"I'll go check if Miss Elizabeth and Miss Nicole are ready," I nodded as Lilly saw herself out of my room.

Ever since we got back to the castle, I didn't return to the room I was originally in when I first arrived.

Now I was staying in a massive gorgeous victorian styled room, that was minimalistic but still served every purpose.

I was informed that I could make changes to my room as I see fit but for now, I believe it's more than comfortable enough.

I stood up and walked towards the full body mirror, I felt beautiful just looking at how dolled up I was. I was wearing a navy blue dress with puffy ruffles that spread out from my hips and downwards all the way to my ankles.

The deep neckline of the dress emphasizes my chest, leaving that area out in the open. The dress in general emphasized my shape despite my small stature.

My ordinarily straight brown hair was rolled up into bouncy curls that reached my waist.

I had dozens of choices when it came to jewelry but I decided to stick to small diamond earrings and the necklace with a colourless stone, Lucian had given me last week.

I walked back to my dresser and picked up the white gloves that stretched out to biceps and I wore them gracefully to avoid any creasing. Luckily, I wasn't wearing any makeup besides lipstick and blush or else the gloves would've gotten stained by now.

"Miss Katherine, the King has requested your presence, the other ladies already joined the ball not too long ago." I took a deep breath and followed Lily's directions.

It was funny how almost no one aside from a select few knew I was Queen. Elizabeth knew because I told her, Nicole knew because she was part of the royal family, obviously, this excludes the people Lucian has told.

As I approached the hall, I could hear the mellow violin music playing, due to nervousness my breath hitched as I turned the corridor and began to make my way down the grand stairway.

If not for the music and the chatter, you would be able to hear the clicks of my white heels against the marble floor.

Don't fall. Don't fall. Don't fall. I was a good distance away from either side of the staircase handles so I tried to stay calm as I made my way down the large steps.