Level Up

Curious glances and stares were abound through the mine, all centered around Sam and Hoseok as they sat side by side in their office and chattered away flirtatiously while they worked. They had agreed to come in separately, but gravitated toward one another within minutes of Sam's arrival until they were both working at her desk, wide smiles on display.

Jeongguk scowled at the office window, arms crossed over his chest, "Something's up," he observed, "Something happened this weekend."

"I thought you were going to ask her out again this weekend?" Taehyung leaned back from his desk to look at him, "Isn't that why you ditched me?"

"Please," Jeongguk scoffed, "Like you're complaining. And yes, that's why, but she never answered her phone."

"You think he's the reason?"

"It doesn't make sense," Jeongguk furrowed his eyebrows, "She hates him."

"That doesn't look like hate to me,' Taehyung observed, "That looks like -"

"You and Jimin," Jeongguk finished, "And we know what happened there."

"Speaking of Jimin," Taehyung gathered the papers from on top his desk, "I need to go over the design changes with him before lunch." He paused, placing a comforting hand on Jeongguk's shoulder, "Maybe it's not what you think, man. Being nice to someone doesn't mean you're being nice to them."

"Maybe," Jeongguk grumped, leaning forward to do his work, "I told her I was fine as long as I'm still in the running." He wiped his hand over his face, fingers going back to clicking rapidly over his keyboard, "I just hope I still am."

--{-@

"So," Jimin spoke around a bite of his sandwich, "I'm out." He blushed, laughing at the curious looks from the other two men, "I can't do it anymore. My...intentions have changed."

"Changed to the fat dick you got over the weekend," Namjoon chuckled, going back to his meal, "You guys never should have gone in on this bet anyway. It's so disrespectful."

Hoseok felt a pang of pride, followed by another of guilt. He had won the bet, either way, but he couldn't bring himself to gloat bout it. Jimin ditching the deal actually made it easier for him. He could keep his position in the race, keep his pride, and keep seeing his object of obsession without having to let anyone else in on what was going on between them. 

Just thinking about Sam made him have to shift in his seat to adjust himself. She'd had to go to a lunch meeting, or he would have been bouncing her over his dick in the back seat of his car for the hour, and he missed her smart mouth and sparkling eyes even though it'd only been 30 minutes since he last saw her. Luckily, she had agreed to spend the night at his house, or he might not have been able to make it through the day.

"Hello?" Namjoon waved his hand in front of Hoseok's face, "Earth to Hope!" He narrowed his eyes, "You've been out of focus all day. Better get your shit together before the race this weekend." He chuckled, "Guess Sweets just guaranteed you keep your slip," he took another bite of rice, "Must be nice."

"Nice...yeah..." Hoseok mumbled, looking down at  his own food, "Nice."

Jimin and Namjoon eyed him curiously, but kept their mouths shut. He was their best friend, but if his lack of focus meant they had a better shot at winning, they weren't going to jump in to play therapist. He was a big boy, and could get through it until after the race, where they would hopefully be offering condolences for his loss as well as an ear for whatever else troubled him.

--{-@