Chapter 4

"Mommm." I groaned as I was sitting at the counter. She's been interrogating me for an hour.

"What? I need to know these things." She says and gives me a sheepish smile.

"I don't like Colton. He has a girlfriend and I don't want a relationship. I want to feel like my old self before I have a relationship." I tell her with a groan. She keeps asking if I like Colton as more than a friend.

"Em your 16, by this age I had already had a few relationships and my first kiss even lost my virginity." She tells me.

"Mom! I'm not comfortable enough to go out in public by myself let alone have sex." I squeak out she gives me a shrug.

"But you have to admit that Colt is hot, right?" She asks me.

"I mean a little bit but we are barely friends." I tell her. "And again he has a girlfriend."

"If I was your age, I would try and go for him." She tells me and I roll my eyes.

"Not going to happen mom." I say and then the doorbell rings. I hear my dad get up from the couch in the living room and answer it.

"Hey Colt. What's up?" My dad asked and lead Colton into the kitchen with us.

"Not much." Colton said with a shrug.

"How's the girl and the job?" My dad asked with a smug look.

"Jobs just fine and so is Faye." He tells my dad with a chuckle. My dad starts laughing.

"Actually I came over to tell y'all that we are taking the boat out today. They told me to invite y'all. We have enough seats and life vests." Colton explained.

"I have to work on my truck or else I would." My dad says and looks to me and mom.

"I have food cooking in the oven so I can't. Em, you can go. You used to love boats." My mom said. I nodded.

"You will come?" Colton asked me and I nodded again. "Go get dressed, I'll wait on you."

I pulled my mom upstairs with me as Colton and my dad started talking about football. "I don't have anything to wear." I tell her.

"I've bought you hundreds of bikinis." My mom tells me.

"Yeah bikinis. I don't want other people to see me in only a bikini." I state.

"It's fine Em. They are like our second family. They don't care what you wear and look like. Now let me see the options." Mom tells me and moves to my closet. She looks through my swimsuit drawer and she pulls out a bikini that's white with pink flowers on it. "Wear that with some shorts and a crop top or something." She told me before leaving.

I put on the bikini and then threw on a pair of blue jean shorts and a white cropped top

I put on the bikini and then threw on a pair of blue jean shorts and a white cropped top. I braided my hair into a messy Dutch braid and put some hairspray on it so that it wouldn't friz with the humidity. Once I was done, I went back downstairs.