Chapter 7

"Em?" My mom got my attention. I was sitting at the bar twirling in my chair as she cooked dinner and my dad was at the table reading a paper.

"Yeah?" I ask and stop twirling to face her.

"Your dad and I have been planning to go somewhere this summer. How would you like to go to the cabin for a week or two?" She asked me.

"It's fine with me. I haven't been there since when? Was I eight?" I tried to think back but I couldn't remember the cabin to well. I remember it was on a lake and we would always go up there a few times a year until we moved to Florida. I can remember the cabin from pictures I have of me and Colton there. My parents would always take Colton with us and sometimes his parents came too.

"I think you were 9. It was the year before we moved was the last time we went." My mom told me.

"I would love to go. When are we going?" I asked them.

"We were thinking sometime this week or the weekend." She told me.

"They are having a big rodeo in the town over from where the cabin is. We thought we could go to it. I know you used to love going to rodeos when you were younger." My dad piped in.

"Oh yeah I remember that. I always wanted to be like them girls that owned a horse and did the barrel racing." I said and smiled at the memory. One of the girls knew my parents and she let me ride her horse in the ring. I loved it and have wanted a horse since then.

"Colton works at that farm. Ask him if that farm would let you ride some of their horses." My mom suggested and I thought about it.

"That's actually a good idea." I said.

"Back to the cabin plan, would you be okay with us inviting Sara, Mike, Mel and Colton?" My dad asked me.

"Sure." I tell him with a nod.

"They are coming over for dinner later, be ready by five." He told me and I nodded. I left the kitchen to go upstairs and start getting ready. I changed into some floral shorts and a brown tank top. I didn't feel like getting dressed up since it was just a dinner with them.

 I didn't feel like getting dressed up since it was just a dinner with them

"Hey Em, I love your outfit." Sara greeted. I looked around the dining room to see that they were all here. Apparently it took me longer to get ready then I thought it did.

"Hi and thank you." I gave her a polite smile. Dad was in a conversation with Mike and Colton while Sara was talking with my mom and Mel was standing by the island, looking at her phone.

"What are you doing Mel?" I ask her.

"Oh, I'm just waiting on someone to text me back." She said and looked up from her phone for a second and then looked right back.

"Oh? A boy?" I ask with a smirk on my face. Her face turns red and I get my answer.

"It's not a big deal. We are partners for a power point project so we exchanged numbers." She told me and tried to shrug it off.