Chapter 4 | dreams and hopes

❝I want someone who writes me love letters. Little sweet nothings, ones that tell me how much they love me.❞

Chapter 4 - dreams and hopes

The light from the stars shone down up at them, and Aera shifted closer to them. They were supposed to be sleeping, that was the only reason their parents had let them leave the party. They'd said they were sleepy.

But neither of them were sleeping. "Hey Luce? Do you ever want a girlfriend? Just someone?" Aera asked.

And Luce turned over to her and frowned, "We're young" he mumbled out and Aera frowned. She sluggishly wrapped her pinkie around Luce's.

"Promise me that i-if we never find someone. You and I will get married. And we'll live in a big 'ol house and have two kids. And you'll l-love me," Aera mumbled, and Luce tensed.

Then he shrugged, why not. Aera wasn't the worst person to have as a last resort, she was pretty. It made Luce nervous sometimes "Promise" he muttered.

And at that Aera beamed, a bright blinding smile even in the darkness of the night. And Luce smiled to himself, a unfamiliar feeling stirring in his chest.

"I want someone who writes me love letters. Little sweet nothings, ones that tell me how much they love me. What do you want?" She questioned Luce.

And Luce's brow furrowed as he thought "I want someone who gives me music. Makes me a playlist" he finally said.

Aera abruptly leaned up, and stared down at Luce. "I've made you a playlist. I can make you music. What else do you want?"

Luce sighed "Why does it matter? You're not my girlfriend." he mumbled, and Aera seemed to deflate a little for a mere moment. Then she was back to rambling.

"I really want love letters though, like that would be the best thing ever." she peered down at Luce, and cocked her head.

"I make you playlists, why don't you write me something?" She asked softly, a sweet look on her face.

Luce rolled his eyes "I'm not your boyfriend and I never asked you to make me playlists." The look on Aera's face made Luce feel bad, but what? He was right, he didn't owe Aera anything.

"I'll still make you playlists" Aera declared, eyes wide and Luce sighed. Turning over to his other side, so he didn't have to see Aera.

"I'm not writing you love letters."

Luce abruptly woke up, and stared up at the celling. His dream replaying in his head, it was less of a dream and more of a memory really.

He could remember that day vividly now, it was so many years ago. They'd been eleven then, and Aera had kept gushing about how she wanted love letters.

Did she still want them? Luce blearily rubbed his eyes as he tried to get his thoughts together. It was a stupid idea really, but Luce always had stupid ideas anyways.

Plus Aera wouldn't listen to him, what if he just wrote them so Aera would never know it was from him. Maybe Aera would listen to the random writer of the letter.

God, this was such a terrible idea. Leave it to his sleepy morning mind to think of this. But what other idea did he have? That was just the point, he didn't have any other ideas.

As he got ready for the day, he contemplated it. It wasn't the worst idea, maybe this way he could convince her to not get a makeover. Maybe this way he could make Aera realize that she was already beautiful.

Aera would never listen to Luce, but what if a random person said it? Luce sighed, maybe it wasn't the worst idea. He could hope, couldn't he?

Grabbing a piece of paper from his notebook, he cut it into a little heart. A messy heart, Luce was already fucking up. Gosh.

"Luce? Come eat breakfast" his mother yelled up at him, and Luce sighed. This was a bad idea, maybe he should just forget it.

"Coming Ma" he yelled and ran down the stairs, paper and pen tucked into his bag. Maybe he shouldn't forget it.

Quickly eating the cereal, and flashing his mother a soft smile. Luce ran up back to his room, he was going to do this. Yes, yes. He could write something for Aera.

He just had to make sure to not give himself up. Yeah, yeah. This could work. Settling himself down onto his chair, Luce took some time to jot a few words down.

Oh god, this was cringey. Maybe he should just throw it, but then again this was the exact type of mushy that Aera loved.

Well, why not? As long as Aera never figured out it was him, Luce really didn't have anything to lose. He'd be fine. Plus his mother always said to take chances.

It was damn time Luce took a chance. Hesitantly he placed the note into his backpack and headed out the door. He breathed in a deep breath, he was going to do this.

It would work. Aera wouldn't leave him this way, this way was the only way Luce had. Plus if his writing was somewhat decent, Luce knew it would make Aera's day.

Wasn't it his job as her best friend to make her happy? He walked down the familiar path, missing the one who always walked alongside him.

It would be okay Luce told himself, he'd slip the letter into Aera's locker. And that would solve the problem of the whole makeover. And then all a Luce had to do was makeup with Aera.

It was his Aera, it couldn't be that bad. Breathing in a deep breath, Luce entered the school. He'd come early today so there was barely anyone here.

And there was no way in hell Aera was here yet. Body a bit stiff, he walked over to his locker. His locker was right next to Aera's so that did help a few things.

It was now or never. He could either go for it, or forget about this stupid idea. One or the other. He fished the letter out of his pocket, and read it over once.

It was quite sweet actually, Luce knew Aera would like it. Hands and fingers shaky, he reached over and slipped the note into Aera's locker.

There went everything.

Oh god.

~~~
next chapter's the letter, that's gonna be difficult to write there😭

anything have a good day/night everyone, ily <3

also yes.