Chapter 27 | if only

❝If their relationship was a house of cards, it had crumbled from the day it began.❞

Chapter 27 | if only

It is a peculiar feeling to give your heart to someone, and then let them crumble it. It is odd when that person crushes it, and you realize they never cared for you as much as you did for them. Then again, maybe they did. One simply can never know.

"Wait" Will cautiously asks, pleads and Aera tries to control herself, to make herself stronger than she is. Most people bought it. But sometimes it is just so hard to be someone you are utterly not. Aera Clayor has never been strong. So why did people always think she was?

Why must she always pretend she is?

Gritting her teeth, she turned around to face Will. Ana had moved a few feet away, and was talking to a friend of hers. A calm expression on her face, it was as if she was giving Will and Aera space. Space to talk about their problems without her hovering them.

"What is it?" she asked coolly, her eyes falling onto Will's once again. The green in his eyes sparkled, and Aera wished she could say she had never felt something for him. It would be so much more simple. If only she had never felt anything for him.

If only.

"I'm sorry" Will said once again, his expression pleading. Aera swallowed, how many times was he going to say that? Would he never cease? It was driving her even more mad. It was making her heart crack a bit more. At times Aera had silly crushes.

Didn't we all?

She had those serious ones as well. The one who would cling to her memories years later, and make her clasp her pillow tightly to her chest. A expression of longing evident in her face. She had the crushes she could never forget about, and she had the ones that were a distant regretful memory.

However Will Wilson hadn't been her crush, he'd been more. And he'd been the first person to be more. And for what? Just so he could go and lie to her every damn day. If their relationship was a house of cards, it had crumbled from the day it began.

Destined for doom.

She swallowed, and turned away. "I told you we were done" she mumbled, and he clasped his hands tightly around hers. Pleading her not to leave. Will had never been a romantic, he thought it silly and pointless.

If he liked someone, he liked them. It was that simple, no need to add spice to it. But when he'd read that stupid letter from Luce. He'd thought to himself that he could see the appeal of romance. Maybe love wasn't over. Maybe it wasn't dead.

Maybe he could find it with someone other than Ana.

No, no that wasn't it. Aera wasn't a replacement for Ana. She was Aera, and he was Will. And he'd ruined something before it was even his. If only he could go back, back to that day and fix everything. If only he had started this off the right way, maybe he could've kept her.

"I'm sorry" he said once again, weakly this time. And Aera sighed, he looked so utterly defeated. It was quite difficult to conjure up the foolish and fickle emotion of anger when someone had that look on their face. She pushed it away. He'd lied to her, and he'd broken every inch of the trust she had ever had for him.

"I don't forgive you" she gritted out, and Will just slumped against the back of the bench. He felt a few eyes regarding him, a bit wary and judgmental. If only they could get some semblance of privacy. But with his million 'friends,' and his popularity, that was never something that happened.

He could already taste the rumors on everyone's tongues.

"C-Can I explain myself?" he asked, more like begged. Someone coughed near them and someone next to them laughed at Will's words, and Will groaned. Standing up he faced those stupid and foolish high school students. He suddenly whistled a long and clear sound, and everyone's eyes turned towards him.