Chapter 34 | fool

❝They don't feel so infinite, and nor does he❞

Chapter 34 | fool

It is nearing the end of the day, the sun is setting, the water is sparkling and his heart is breaking. When she slides in next to him, her beauty is an enchanting and vivid type of one. The sun is setting over them, warm and tranquil. The moon which has slowly started being visible in the dark sky, is reflected on the water.

To Will, the moon doesn't feel so far away at the moment. Nor do the stars, they aren't visible yet. But when they are reflected on the water, he feels as if he could almost reach forward and touch them. They don't feel so infinite. And nor does he. He feels as if he's fading into the blurred corners of the world, when all he wants to do is shine brighter, day by day.

The sun is falling down and down, the colors in the sky as fresh as they would be if they were brushed upon a artist's canvas. The sky was dyed pomegranate pink, and the sun a fiery red. Unbreakable, immortal, and withstanding against everything. It is a shame that he cannot be like the sun.

"How are you?" Ana softly asks from next to him, and he turns to her his gaze detached. She has a pebble clutched in her slender fingers, and the sun reflecting against her dark skin, makes her look almost golden. Rich and luxurious. But that is what Ana has always been, wealthy and classy. Uncaring and heartless. That is something he has yet to be.

"I'm doing alright" he replies back, and takes the pebble from her outstretched hand. He tosses it, and it skips across the lake for a bit, before slowly sinking to the bottom. Where it once stood, there is nothing left of it. He wonders if one day he'll sink like that too. Her face next to him darkens, and she looks almost sad.

"Are you sure?" she asks softly, her raspy voice coming out soft and tentative. He turns to look at her, noting the way her eyes sparkle in the sunset. The way her golden skin glows next to him, how her hair cascades down her back. Like waves that even the ocean couldn't compete with. There's something different about her today, she looks a bit dejected.

Her skin is a shade lighter, and she looks a bit unsteady. But she's still glowing, her eyes wide as they peer up at Will. Glints of amber glint in her concerned expression, and Will feels so utterly angry today. She'd made it clear that she didn't care for him, yet why did she always have to linger at the corner? Unsure and acting as if she cared. Aera had done enough to break his heart today, he didn't need Ana to add onto it.

He chuckles bitterly, "I simply wonder why it is that everyone always leaves me?" Ana visibly flinches, she looks as if someone just struck her across her face. And she looks sick to her stomach. "I—"she tries her to object, and Will just rolls his eyes. He grabs another pebble from the ground, and skips it along the surface. Wishing that it would simply take him with it, down and under.

"Whoever it is that leaves you, they are a fool" Ana finally whispers, like a promise, soft and overcoming everything. He's heard enough promises from her lips to last a lifetime, she's never kept any of them. He turns to look at her once again, she looks nervous and unsure. Her expression is one of fatigue, of long lonely nights, and harsh winters. It is an expression he has seen reflected onto himself.

He laughs, "Then I guess you're a fool."

Something dark crosses her expression, and she nods. "I am nothing more than a mere fool" she whispers again, and it once more sounds like a promise, a promise that she cannot keep. It isn't a promise though. It is a truth, that is what she believes. Will can read it clearly in her expression.

He scoffs, and turns away "I think I am the fool here" he says, and Ana chuckles. Soft and bitter, it is impossible to read her emotions. She covers them so well, so delicately and intricately. When they were together, Will would treasure every glimpse he got of the real vivid her.