Chapter 16 | giving up

❝Just treat her right, please.❞

Chapter 16 | giving up

Luce had his head facing the ground as he walked down the hallways. Way too many books in his hand, it was quite alright though. He carried them with ease. He looked to his side, and sighed Aera was gone again.

She hadn't come to school today, when Luce had called her. Her voice was raspy, and she'd started coughing a bit when Luce asked what was wrong. She said she'd gotten sick from babysitting her cousin. Luce ran his hands through his thick hair, he hated the days in school in which he didn't have Aera.

Without Aera he never really had anyone, he had never needed anyone else. He did have a few friends, but they didn't go to this school. Luce had met them back when he used to write actual stories. He'd given up that a long time ago.

Heading to his locker, he quickly pushed the books in. Mind still foggy, he wanted to apologize to Aera. Not as himself of course, far as Aera knew he hadn't done anything wrong. He was just innocent old Luce.

He wanted to apologize with an letter, but then again he couldn't either. Because the reason he wanted to apologize was that he'd accidentally bought up the memory of Aera's dad. But of course, Luce couldn't say that. Because Aera only ever talked to one person about her dad, that person being him.

She thought the author of those letters was Will, and as much as Luce hated it. That was good for him, because at least she didn't think it was him. But if he apologized about her dad, Aera would know in a instant it was him. He groaned, he was a utterly terrible friend.

Aera deserved better than him. And it was at that moment, someone approached him. As if a sign from the universe, one confirming that he didn't deserve Aera appeared. And that someone else maybe did. It was Will.

Luce looked down at him, Will wasn't necessarily short. He was towering compare for some people. But Luce was unnaturally tall, and he towered over Will as he looked down at him. Will uncomfortably fidgeted, Luce relaxed his expression.

"Hey man" Will said, eyes as bright as ever. Luce eyed him carefully, then he nodded at him. "Hey" he replied, his voice coming out harsher than he'd anticipated. Thankfully Will didn't seem to notice, as he continued to grin at Luce.

Luce slowly raised a eyebrow, what was this dude's deal? "Can I help you?" he questioned, voice a bit softer now. He was Aera's friend, Luce ought to be nice to him. It was only common courtesy.

Will awkwardly scratched the back of his neck, nervously fidgeting. "You know Aera right?" and Luce nodded. What type of question was that? Of course he knew Aera, she was his best friend.

Will fumbled with his fingers again and said a bit confused "I-I kinda like her?" Luce froze, and just stared at Will a look of bewilderment on his face. Clutching onto his book, he coughed and cleared his throat. Trying his best not to glare at Will.

"Like romantically?" he questioned, making sure he was hearing things correctly. At his odd placement of words, Will let out a light chuckle. "How else would I like her man." he mumbled, laughing once again, Luce gritted his teeth together.

"What did you need from me?" he asked bitterly, Will was utterly oblivious as he smiled at Luce. He didn't seem to notice the tone of Luce's voice, or the glare the man was shooting him. He was lost up in some dreamy cloud or something.

"You are her best friend right?" he questioned, and Luce swiftly nodded once again. Will smiled, his white teeth flashing. "Well, I was going to ask her to be my girlfriend. And I was just unsure on what to get her. Does she like flowers?"

At that Luce contemplated his options here, one one hand he could totally lie to Will and set him up for failure. Tell him the flowers Aera was allergic to, or the ones she hated. All in hopes that one day Aera would be his. Or he could just help Will, let him be the perfect guy Aera had always wanted. He was handsome, well-liked, and somewhat smart.

But most importantly he made Aera happy, he didn't remind her of her dad like Luce. He didn't seem like the type to just go and fuck things up. He was more deserving of Aera than Luce would ever manage to be. He could never love her like Luce did, but what did it matter?

He's sallowed "She likes carnations" he mumbled instead, and Will flashed him such a bright, beaming smile. Then Luce had the urge to throw up. He swallowed it, Aera loved carnations. She'd always loved them, it would be perfect. But why was it never him that got the happiness?

"What color" Will questioned again, and Luce pushed back the bile in his throat. "Pink and red" he mumbled, at that Will flashed him a even wider grin. Luce hadn't thought that was possible. This man was a beaming ray of sunshine.

"Thanks man" Will said, patting Luce on the shoulder. Luce resisted the urge to rip Will's hand of him, and once again just nodded. "You think she'll say yes? She's a bit of a dork, but I do like her" Will mumbled, a bit of a dreamy look in his eyes. He looked as if he truly liked her.

Luce hastily nodded, not trusting himself to speak. Will beamed at him once again "Bro, Luce I used to think you were a bit mean or something. But you're actually pretty cool, I can see why Aera likes you. We can totally be
mates now man." Will said, holding out his hand for a fist bump.

Luce started at it, and then gritting his teeth fist bumped Will. Will smiled at him, a bit more more nervous now. "I'll ask her tomorrow. She's coming to school right?" he questioned and Luce once again just nodded. Still not trusting himself to speak. He couldn't bear to keep seeing the happy look on Will's face.

"Thanks man" Will mumbled once again, a gleam of nervousness now visible in his bright green eyes. "You think I should go for it?" he questioned Luce, a vivid look of near panic in his eyes. Luce resisted the urge to roll his eyes at Will. What a fool. What did he have to worry about? Aera liked him.

"Yeah, go for it" he forced out instead, almost crumbling at the gigantic smile on Will's face. He patted Luce on the shoulder again, Luce forced out a smile. Will would do her good he hoped.  He was a pleasant enough guy, he doubted Aera would want to leave him like she did with Luce.

"Thanks man" Will said and then he turned around, ready to leave. A stupid beaming smile on his face, Luce stared after him. A frown etched onto his face.

"Hey Will?" he mumbled, and Will turned around to look him. A smile still on his face. Luce swallowed "Just treat her right, please." he mumbled and Will stared at him.  A surprised look on his face.

Then it melted away and he smiled at Luce again, "Of course."

~~~~
does anyone like will 👀 or nah?