Chapter 22 | fire & water

❝The fire doesn't burn him, it just aches.❞

Chapter 22 | fire & water

The stars twinkled above visible through the sheer curtain of her room. Aera applied a layer of gloss to her lips, and turned to face herself in the full length mirror. She didn't love how she looked. Her once black hair was now a light brown, her eyes were layered with mascara and shimmery shadow.

She stared at her glasses, they didn't suit her today at all. With her makeup, and the clothes she'd chosen to wear. They contrasted heavily with everything she had on. She sighed, Will did write those letters and he had said he adored her contacts too. It'd be better to wear them she decided.

Grabbing them she gently inserted them into her eyes, flinching a bit at the uncomfortableness. She blinked a bit at the mirror, and she didn't recognize herself once again. Her usual dark brown eyes were now hazel, random specks of green in the hazel. Her hair was light, and brushed up into a some type of elegant twist. Curtesy of her mom.

Her outfit was odd as well, unlike the clothes she owned. Hell, they weren't even her clothes, they were Will's sister's clothes. Her and Ana had eyed Aera's attire and decided it wasn't suitable. She turned around a bit and tugged the skin tight skirt down. She liked the top at least, it was a bit flashy. But the light purple and white color of the top was stunning.

Walking over to her dresser she inserted some hoop earrings to her ear. And looked down for a necklace, there was the one Luce had gotten her when she was little. She lifted it and turned it around, giggling a bit. They'd been thirteen then and Luce had been groaning about how he didn't want to get Aera a gift.

But in the end he'd given her this necklace, she knew his mom had made him, and it was her choice. But it was still stunning, she ran her hand over the jem and smiled to herself. It reminded her of starlight. And it reminded her of Luce.

She grabbed some random bracelet and ring and wrung them around her arms. She heard the door bell ring, and frantically checked her self in the mirror once again. She still couldn't recognize herself, frowning she grabbed her purse and headed out the door.

"Bye Mom" she called out, and her mom said something back, her voice a bit muffled. Smiling to herself she opened the door, and stepped out. There was Will, his hair ruffled as if he'd ran his hand through it too many times. He looked nervous, Aera smiled to herself. Reaching forward she pressed her lips to his.

He smiled into her mouth, and kissed her back. Breathing her in and out. "Hello to you too" he mumbled teasingly, and Aera giggled softly. His eyes scanned her body, and she smiled at him again. "You look hot" he declared and Aera wilted a bit.

Hot huh. That was just so odd, in those letters of his he would never once use the word hot. The Will from the letters and the one she talked to now, was undeniably different. Maybe he was just shy. Reaching forward she interlaced their fingers together. "You don't look too bad yourself." she mumbled and Will flashed her that bright dimpled smile of his, she relaxed into him.

Everything was going to be just okay.

________________________________

He's underwater, no that's not right. The water is so dark, so dark but it's not cold. He thinks for a moment that he's not drowning, that he's breathing. But when Aera giggles softly and presses her lips against Will's once more. He blinks. He's still breathing.

But he's drowning, and the water is dark but not cold. As Will grabs her wrist and presses a kiss to it, and she laughs. That loud, vibrant, starlight laugh of hers. He thinks he must be deep underwater now, yet, there's light around him. Columns of light that reach him from the surface, he grasps on to them.

Will reached forward and touches the necklace Aera is wearing, the one Luce got her when he was thirteen. And he thinks he surely cannot breathe, he cannot see the surface. He's burning, he's walking into flames and he's burning. But the fire doesn't burn him, it just —

It aches.

He thinks he would burn alive for Aera, he would scream and writhe between the flames for her. He would let the flames lap at his skin and bones, all for her. He would let the fire that moves like crimson and orange snakes, wrap itself all around his body.

He would let it make him scream in agony because of the heat that seems to be reaching his bones, heart, lungs, his very core. He'd drown for her, let the air leave his lungs and fall into a empty deep less depth. But Will would never do that, yet, he's the one who gets to call her his.

Ana reaches over and places a light hand on his, "Are you alright?" she asks with that low, crooning, voice of hers. Luce looks away from them, down at Ana. She's looking at him up with a barely concealed expression of concern. He sees himself in her, she would burn for Will, and she would drown for him. But she still can swallow it all back, and watch them be happy together.

Why can't he?

"I'm alright" he finally utters, and Ana flashes him a ghost of a smile. A terror of jealousy hidden in those eyes of hers as her eyes fall on Will and Aera for a second, Luce breathes once again. The crisp air calming him down. It is alright, they are both the same. And if Ana can do it, so can he. As if sensing his thoughts Ana leans up, and whispers something into his ear.

"It gets better" she mumbles, and Luce feels as if he's drowning all over again. How can this type of pain ever get better? He doesn't know, but he nods. He nods for the sake of Ana, because he can already see a million things eating away at her. He doesn't want one of them to be concern for him.

She smiles a pleasant smile at him, and brushing his fingers against his cheek in comfort she turns away. Luce sallows, maybe it does get better but he doesn't have it in him to find out today. He had been at this party for long enough, Aera had barely even talked to him. She'd said a greeting, and went on her merry way with Will.

Luce didn't have it in him to stay any longer. "I'm leaving" he tells Ana, and she turns around to frown at him. A furrowed expression on her brow, she nods and then whistles, bringing everyone's attention to her. "Luce is leaving" she announces and Luce flushes as everyone's eyes turns to him. That was utterly unnecessary.

Still flushed, he just nods and turns around, grabbing his jacket. He doesn't spare a second look at any of them. Aera stares after the retreating figure of Luce, and frowns. She turns to Will, "I'll be right back" she mumbled.

And then she chases after Luce, right on his trail.

~~~~
agh not the weekend being almost over 😔✋ i hate mondays omg.