Chapter 10 | party jitters

❝He leaned his head against the wall, and disappeared. Just like always.❞

Chapter 10 | party jitters

Aera drummed her fingers against her leg, and let out a ridiculous smile. Today had been quite the day, first she'd hung out with Will and his friends.

They were quite fun, she smiled happily again. Her mind flitting back, Will had invited her to a party. She was going to a party, a giddy smile spread across her face and she leaned back onto her bed.

Her starlight eyes drifted to the ceiling and she squealed. She was overreacting a bit, but it was all fun and games. She was going to a party, Aera smiled again.

Her thoughts drifted to Luce, and a frown set itself into her face. She rolled over onto her side, and fished for her phone. Clicking on Luce's contact she stared at it nervously.

Luce, he wasn't the type to go to parties nor would he like them. He'd much rather prefer to stare up and the stars and think. Aera thought him a bit odd at times. She knew she was much more shallow than him.

Luce preferred to spectate from the sidelines, watch as the world blurred past them. But Aera was done waiting, ever since she was five she'd never really fit in.

The kids from Will's group would stare at her, with the judging look of theirs. They never acted on it, but god it stung. If she could simply just be one of them. Wasn't that even better?

Her past self would be quite proud of what she had become. A bit lost she hit Luce's number. He picked up on the first ring. Aera smiled, he had always been so timely and precise with everything he did.

"Hey Aera" Luce mumbled from the other side of the phone, voice groggy. And Aera took a moment to acknowledge how deep his voice had gotten. Luce really had grown up.

"Luce? Where were you at school today?" she questioned, she'd looked for him in the lunchroom but she'd never seen him. It was odd without him around, it was a feeling Aera wasn't quite fond of.

"Oh. I was just checking out some books." Luce replied, and Aera frowned a line appearing between her forehead. Luce much preferred to write than to read. She didn't know why, reading was a million times better. But he did.

"Oh, well I was just wondering if you wanted to go to a party with me? And before you say no, it's soon and I'm begging you Luce" Aera added on sweetly, hoping and praying her best friend came through.

She could hear Luce sigh from the other side of the phone, as he thought about it. "Fine." He mumbled and before Aera could hope to reply he hung up. Aera rolled her eyes, Luce always was so moody.

At least he was coming, she smiled. Grabbing her phone she quickly punched in the address and time for the party. In about three seconds Luce replied back with a thumbs up. Aera smiled again. Thank god.

She ran her fingers through her hair and sighed, it seemed all she needed to be popular was some new hair and to wear makeup. Yawning she fit herself into a somewhat decent outfit and frowned.

She'd never been to a party, was her outfit even appropriate? She groaned and ran her hand through her hair, maybe Luce would know. She quickly did her makeup, and ruffling her hair up a bit, waited for Luce.

He was a bit later that she'd asked, but it was alright. He was here, smiling that crooked grin of his. His eyes raked up and down her body. She grinned.

"Is it alright?" She questioned and Luce eyed her again, a faint blush creeping into his cheeks. She smiled, maybe she looked pretty okay.

He cleared his throat, his voice still raspy. "It's alright" he mumbled, and Aera smiled sweetly. Doing a little twirl, she slapped his shoulder.

"Let's go doofus" She mumbled all excited, and Luce couldn't help but grin. Aera was quite something. A stupid grin on his face, he sat into his car. Aera sat next to him.

They made light conversation as they drove, and Aera was so jittery. Was it weird to be nervous? She didn't know but she was really nervous. Luce reached over and grabbed her hand, which happened to be shaking.

She looked nervously at him, he swallowed his eyes focused on the road. "Calm down" he mumbled, and Aera sighed. She would be alright, she gripped his hand tighter. After all she always had Luce by her side.

A smile flickered across Luce's face as he parked. They were in front of some big house, it was bright and he could smell the stench of alcohol from a mile away. It was not his scene.

Luce lightly dropped Aera's hand and stepped out the car, she meekly followed behind him. He turned to her and gave her a side hug real quick, she melted into him. "You'll be alright Aera" he mumbled.

Aera relaxed a bit and a smile came to her face. "Thank you Luce" she softly mumbled, all confused and tiny. Luce nodded, and released her. Truth be told he was nervous too.

The only reason he was here was because he knew Aera was nervous. He could hear it in her voice when she'd called him. He hated parties with a passion, all those drunk kids dancing as if their was no tomorrow.

What even was the point? To have a nice time? Because he never quite managed to have one. Eyes grim, he entered the party. Aera equally uncomfortable at his side.

Her eyes scanned the premise and widened. The smell of drugs and alcohol was much more prominent now. Luce wrinkled his nose, he was not a fan. Aera just stared.

It was then Will noticed them, his eyes went a bit wide. And he walked over to them, he patted Luce on the back and turned to Aera. "Hey!" he exclaimed.

Luce smiled hesitantly at least he didn't reek of alcohol or drugs like most of the people here. Aera flashed him one of those bright smiles, that Luce used to think only he ever saw.

He swallowed, as he recalled Aera saying she had a crush on Will. Will was bright, he burned into the crowd. He was like a sun, and Aera lit up around him.

He was stupidly the opposite, he walked through the crowds. No one ever turned to look at him. Sure, he was attractive. But no one noticed him long enough to notice that.

With Will it was a different story, everyone saw him. He was noticeable, he had that instant effect of making people happy, and Luce could see that Aera was happy with him.

Will's eyes drifted towards Luce as he talked and he nodded at Luce, forcing back the burning jealousy that threatened to consume him. He nodded back. Will smiled.

Turning to Aera he said "Let's go to the pool. They have some really cool lights I want to show you" Will mumbled and Aera wide eyed nodded.

Tugging on her hand Will pulled her along, Luce watched them a hard set to his mouth. He trusted Will, he'd know that guy since he was six. He was a pretty good kid, probably wouldn't hurt a fly.

Aera followed after him, and Luce blended right into the crowd. She didn't once look back, or seemed to realize Luce wasn't by her side anymore. He leaned his head against the wall, and disappeared.

Just like always.

~~~~~
double update, so please read the next chapter. haha it's up already.