Chapter 37 | change

❝He looks happier❞

Chapter 37 | change

The scarlet light beaming in through the windows is dancing across his face as he writes something onto the paper. The white button-down shirt he is wearing pulls across his broad shoulders as he leans over to grab his pencil. He's busy, preoccupied and busy. He has about three tests, and an essay coming up.

He is utterly stressed, so much so he doesn't notice when someone's figure looks over him. She taps him gently on the shoulder, he doesn't look up, much too busy typing out the essay. He's so focused he doesn't notice when she softly calls out his name either.

"Luce!" she says, and the register of her tone is high. Too high. Luce turned to look up at her, but it wasn't just him. The whole library turned to look at her, including the teachers. They librarian slowly raised an eyebrow, and Aera turned a beet shade of red.

Luce quickly stood up, his arms flexing under his shirt. "Shall we do outside?" he asked softly, and groaning in embarrassment, Aera quickly nodded next to him. He flashes her a quick smile, and grabs the books around him. Quickly dropping them into his bag, he turns back around to look at her.

She nods at him once more, and still flushing follows him out the door. He looks happy today, he looks happier. He has a natural color to his cheeks, his hair is messily rumpled as usual. Falling over his head in dark black waves, but he looks better in a sense. He looks more built as well, maybe he's been working out.

Or maybe it's the stunning glow that surrounds him, Aera can't pinpoint it to one thing. But it is clear that he looks better, he looks changed, and for the better. He turns around to look at her, a glimmer in his dark eyes. He looks so utterly happy, and she can't help but feel the same as she smiles back at him.

He walks around a group of students, and one of the girls subtly eyes Luce. Her expression warm as she looks him up and down. Aera forces back the clumping of a familiar emotion in her throat. He's not hers. At least not yet.

He finally stops and whirls around to look at her, a natural ease to his every move. He looks so natural and happy with his own body. "How have you been?" he asks, his eyes are on her dark raven hair now and there's a certain proud glint in his eyes.

"I've been good. Do you like the hair?" she asks teasingly, he hasn't taken his eyes off it yet. He turns back to look at her, his head titling down slightly. His eyes went from a cool caramel to liquid fire within mere seconds. "It's beautiful, but you've always been beautiful" he say, quick to add the latter.

She laughs softly, not minding the faint blush that spreads over her rosy cheeks. "T-Thank you" she replies, and Luce flashes her a soft smile. She beams up at him, "How have you been?" she asks, and his smile is slightly wider this time.

"I've been good, I feel as if I've found myself" he pauses, and nervously chuckles. "That sounds cheesy, but I-I've been happier" he says, and she grins at him. He grins back at her, she doesn't ask how or what it is. He doesn't choose to elaborate, that is a subject for a different day all together.

"I'm glad" she mumbles, and she reaches forward to wrap her fingers around his. He sucks in a deep breath, and holds her hand back. "Have you made up your mind?" he pauses "Not that I'm rushing you, you can take all the time you want. I don't want to be a bother, at—"

She cuts him off, a soft giggle escaping her rosy lips. "Relax, I've made up my mind" she says, and he slightly smiles. His eyes glinting, he looks hopeful, he doesn't look like he's about to crumble. He looks confident in himself, as if he has realized his worth at last. As if he can handle himself without her, but he looks hopeful still. As if knowing he might get something he has always wanted.

She pauses, unsure of how to go about this, does she simply just say it or something else. Luce is a bit tense besides her, "So what is it?" he asks, trying to hide his curiosity. Aera peers up at him, a soft glint in her pretty expression. He peers down at her, and they both look utterly mesmerized with each other.

She doesn't answer him.

Instead she leans up and presses her lips to his.

She feels his lips against hers, soft and tender, and so gentle that if she dreamed hard enough she could believe it was the kiss of a dainty breeze and not a delicate boy. If she shifted a millimeter everything would break, the gentle moment around her would shatter.

But for now she lets herself be caught up in all of it, the utter and raw beauty of him. Her body felt alight with every vibrant color that was put to display in the skies. Kissing him feels daring, like an adrenaline of a spike of lighting. Or the moment she sinks too deep into the water, and there is nothing that surrounds her but water, expect the water is him.

His touch is reverent, and slow, she feels a rush of helpless, sinking yielding and a surging tide around her. She adores him, and he adores her equally. His touch is soft as honey, hesitant as if struggling to believe it is her that he holds in his hands. His lips are as soft as rose's bud, she could soak herself forever in his warmth, and be utterly and truly lost.

She pulls away at last, at a utter loss for words. Blushing madly, she looks to the ground. Luce isn't doing much better, he's a odd shade of red and he can't seem to meet her eyes. She clears her throat, and says "Well my theory was correct, you are a good kisser."

Luce chokes next to her, and turns a brighter shade of red. "I'm glad, I-I haven't done that in a while" he awkwardly says, flushing even more. Aera can't help but find him utterly adorable. "When was the last time?" she gently teases, and Luce shrugs.

"I think maybe when I was fourteen, oh my god. It was so awkward too, we were so embarrassed after" he says, suddenly recalling that memory. Aera gently giggles next to him, his eyes burn like a liquid fire once more as he looks down at her. "This one wasn't quite the same" he gently says, and Aera giggles again.

He runs his hand through his hair, and smiles slightly, his lips quirking up in the corner. "So does this mean you love me?" he asks, Aera gives him a deadpan look. He chuckles. "What else could it possibly mean you doofus?" she asks, and he smiles a beaming smile.

"Just wanted to hear you say it" he teases. Aera smiles brighter and slaps him teasingly, her hand wrapping itself around his shoulder, "I think I've always loved you, but denying it so long made it seem not as real to me. I love you" she gently whispers to Luce, and his face is a rosy red in the sunlight.

"Say it again" he asks.

"I love you" she repeats giggling, and he leans down, his arms naturally wrapping around her. "Again?" he asks, she giggles once more. "I love you, now say it back" she mumbles, and he smiles brightly. "That's always been easy, starlight" he mumbles, his eyes a warm and vivid brown.

"I love you" he says back.

~~~~
lmao why do i have a emotional attachment to these characters😭😭😭