Chapter 3

Why is he coming over here? What could Alex possibly want with me? Is he lost? Am I in his spot? All these questions keep running through my head the closer he gets. Putting my book in my face I try to keep reading hoping I saw wrong, and he'll just keep walking. However, I'm wrong when I hear him sit beside me in the grass as he says, "Hey."

Glancing up shyly I slowly turn my head in his direction wondering why on earth he is speaking to me. What possessed this guy to come and talk to me of all people. Not wanting to be rude I try to speak up however all I can get out is a quiet, "H-hi."
"Whatcha got there?" He asks. Noticing my confusion his eyes widen seemingly realizing what he just asked me a second ago. "I mean duh you got a book there. What I meant to say is uhm what are you reading?" He asks instead.

Now what happens next, I can't tell you. Whether it's the fact that someone actually spoke to me or because I know of Alex and how he plays with girls my genius ass decided to be a smart one and reply with "A book." I say it with the straightest face I never knew I could make however only a second passes by before I see Alex crack a smile on his handsome face showing his dimples.
"Wow that sounds like a good book there maybe I should try it sometimes you said it's called a book right?" He asks with a laugh in his eyes. Of course I shouldn't have smarted off like that without expecting to get mocked in return. I think willing myself not to tear up. Immediately after I see Alex's face turn from goofy to what almost looks like worry? "What happened are you ok?" He asks me as he reaches towards my face only then noticing I somehow betrayed myself and starting crying. God why can't I keep my emotions in check. And why did I get so easily offended?

Shakily I get up with Alex following and turn to him with my hair covering my face and start to tell him, "Just forget it, I'm sorry I didn't know this spot was yours I'll just leave and find a different tree to sit under." As I start to walk off I notice his friend heading this way also and Alex softly grabs my wrist. "Wait don't leave that wasn't why I came over here." he says to me softly as if anything he says will push me over the edge.

Being confused even more I slowly turn to him and his friend as he finally caught up to Alex and ask him, "Then why did you come over here for?" After asking that question I notice his brows furrow into confusion as if he didn't know either. "We came over to try and make some friends you know? New year, new possibilities." His friend says while emphasizing the last word toward Alex as if telling him something. "Right...let me start over yeah? I'm Alex and this is my best friend, Chase." Alex says while gesturing to his friend who seems to look like this is funny to him. Of course I know who you are. Everyone does. I think to myself but I don't dare speak the truth.
"I-I'm Samantha....but my friends call me Sam." I tell him shyly resisting the urge to add if I had friends. Not wanting to seem like a charity case.

"Does this mean we're friends? Yay a new face to our small little group!" I hear Chase exclaim next to me. Curiously I look over in his direction and started darting my eyes back and forth slowly between the pair and then finally utter the question, "We're friends?" Almost regretting the words as they leave my mouth.

Of course not who wants to be friends with me. I'll only bring them down in the social ranks.

My thoughts are interrupted as I notice Alex slowly start to smile and then the next words he utter either will be a regret later or change my life for the better.

"Of course we are that's why we came over here, Sam." He says with his dimples smile once again. Sam. I don't know why nor can explain but in short my name rolling of his tongue almost feel like it was meant to sending a zoo of butterflies erupting in my belly. "S-so what now?" I ask them hoping this is it and I can go back to my book.

"Well want to hang out with us after school? We could go to the park and get to know each other better if you like?" Alex asks with hope, it seems like, in his eyes. What is he hoping for? Maybe he wants me to say no? Or maybe this is some sick twisted joke they're playing on me. Though, I have to admit, he doesn't seem like that kind of guy.

 "Uhm sure I guess? I just have to let my mom know so she won't worry." I tell him as I'm pulling my phone out of my pocket and start texting my mom letting her know.
"Great! This will be fun we can be the three amigos or two amigos and one amiga if you will." I hear Chase ramble as my phone goes off seeing my mom say it's fine that she won't be home when I'm let out of school anyway.

Hearing the bell go off I start to head towards the door to head to class. With some burst of small confidence I turn slightly to wave to them as if saying bye noticing Alex's eyes light up a bit and wave back along with Chase. Strange.

With a small smile I enter my class and sit thinking, I'm doing it, I'm making friends. Little did I know this was the start to a crazy rollercoaster of a year.