Chapter 5

The next morning came and I was feeling a new sense of confidence. Maybe it's because I had a good night sleep for once or maybe because I have friends who really knows. Friends. I would have never imagined me, the lonely bookworm, making friends in a million years let alone two in the span of only a few minutes. True to his word, Alex pulled up my drive picking me up for school which was in itself a strange feeling for me. Of course I asked him how he got my number and he just shrugged and said he got it somehow.

This morning flashed by me in a blur and I'm currently in my chemistry class sitting next to my partner Emily.

Emily Grayson. She's Chase's twin sister though they look nothing alike. Maybe I'll have my first girl friend seeing as Chase is adamant on us being best friends. I think to myself slightly hoping it to be true. However I just barely managed to make two friends yesterday and I doubt I'll make a third today. "So I hear you and my brother are friends." Emily's voice beside me pulls me from my thoughts all of a sudden. Looking in her direction I give her a calculated gaze as I slowly answer her back. "Yeah I guess so. I mean he and Alex just sort of became my friend." I tell her hoping she isn't gonna lash out and say I'm using them. How could I? And what for? They started talking to me. If anything maybe they are using me? And again I have no clue as to what for but I'm going with they're not, hoping I'm right.

"Well seeing as your friends with Alex and Chase, I don't see why we can't either. I mean if you three are gonna hang out then might as well be friends now so it's not awkward with all four of us together." Emily tells me after thinking for a bit. To say I'm shocked is an understatement. "You want to be my friend to?" I ask her still obviously showing how shocked I am at the words she just uttered.
"I don't see why not I need more girls around it's lonely with just Chase and Alex." She says laughing a bit at my shocked state. "Okay then, my name is Samantha but you can call me Sam." I tell her with a smile. I can't believe I'm making another friend. What has become of my life? Suddenly Emily starts giggling to herself and seeing my confused look she quickly composed herself and explains.
"Oh I know who you are Sam. Chase wouldn't shut up about it last night about his new friend Sammi and of course Alex's Shorty." She says smirking in my direction as if she knows something I don't.

However, I groan and roll my eyes clearly showing my annoyance to that stupid name Alex has given. That goddam name. I'm going to kill him when I see him. "I am not that short. Alex just likes to annoy me with it." I tell her still showing my annoyance with my words. "Sure, Sam whatever you say. It's obviously not because of something else." She says giggling. Somehow, I feel she isn't telling me everything. Like she knows something I don't and only Alex can tell me.

Pretty soon the bell rings signaling the end of the class period and as I start heading towards my locker I hear Emily about from behind me. "I'll catch you at lunch Sam along with Chase and Alex." She emphasizes Alex's name at the end. Okay seriously what is it I'm being left out of? Waving a bye and promising her I would I turn to my locker and start to exchange some books out and get ready to head towards my next class. Shutting the door I almost jump at a girls face glaring at me from the other side of it.

Brooke Reynolds. Alex's ex girlfriend. Or whatever they called themselves. I think to myself as I wonder why she's glaring at me and what she wants.
"You have some nerve you know." Brooke says with an obvious annoyance in the undertone of her voice. Being even more confused at this I tilt my head to the side and furrow my brows as I ask her, "I'm sorry but I don't know what your talking about?" Somehow what I said seems to anger her more as her glare deepens even more in my direction. "You know what you did you loser. You talked to my Alex. No one talks to him but me." She hisses in my face.
"Hang on, Alex isn't your property to own he's a person. He can talk to whoever he wants. Beside he came up to me not the other way around." I say back to her shocking herself and me by my words. Seeing she is about to retort I just turn around and continue hearing her yell names at me from behind. Maybe being friends with them is affecting me too much and after one day no less. Nonetheless I somewhat like the new confident me however long she'll last.

Lunchtime couldn't have came any sooner. The last couple classes I had unfortunately had Brooke in them and I could feel the hate she had towards me rolling off of her in waves as she would only glare at me the entire time. Seeing Chase, Alex, and Emily by my locker I instinctively smile as I near them. "Hey guys." I say as Alex seems to perk up at my presence like he has since yesterday. "Hey Shorty." He says with a smile. That stupid name again. "Sammi, I heard you a had run in with Brooke is that true?" Chase asks me immediately deteriorating my mood a bit as well as making Alex become stiff next to me. "Did Brooke bother you Shorty?" He asks me with eyes that tell me not to lie to him.

"She just stopped me at my locker after chemistry to tell me I had 'some nerve' and stop calling me Shorty." I say rolling my eyes recalling the conversation I so graciously had with her. "Nerve for what? Going to class?" Emily says sarcastically towards the end making all of us laugh. Shaking my head still smiling I explain how she said called me a loser and was being hateful for talking to Alex. At the mention of his name in my explanation I see his face start to turn into an angry one as his fist clenched at his side. "SHE DOESN'T OWN ME FOR GOD SAKE." Not expecting his outburst I slightly jump making his face soften a bit but still hold the irritation he had for Brooke. "That's what I said. I told her you were a person and could talk to whoever." I say shrugging my shoulders not really wanting to spend all lunch hour talking about this.

"You really said that to her? Damn Sammi didn't know you had it in you." Chase says smirking at me. "Had it in me? To do what? Speak the truth?" I say to him with an eyebrow quirked upward as I don't understand why he's so astonished. "I like this side of you Sam your usually so quiet and reserved." I hear Emily say next to me. Looking in her direction I notice a smirk on her face and her eyes gleaming in mischief. To be honest, I'm starting to scare myself. I so quickly found this new confidence to open up and stand up for myself in a way I never had before. Maybe my new friends are fueling my confidence boost. "It scares me honestly." I say quietly hoping no one heard.

The end of the school day came quickly not that I minded however all I wanted to do was go home and crawl into bed. Heading to my locker I open noticing a note flow down. Catching it before it hit the ground I gaze curiously at the folded paper in my head debating on whether or not I should open. Curiosity killed the cat. Opening the note I feel my eyes widen at the words scribbled onto the dainty paper as I read it in my head.

You have made an enemy of me. Stay away from Alex or else.

Really? I made an enemy of her? Of course this was Brooke but as I gaze up and see her glare and a threat in her eyes I can't help but think, I'm so dead.