Chapter 9

The next afternoon comes to me in a blink of an eye as I start to get ready to meet Emily at the mall. Heading downstairs I see my mom getting ready for her night shift at the hospital. "Hey mom, I'm gonna be home later tonight. I'm hanging out with Emily at the mall." I inform her as I start to head towards the door. "Oh then take my card honey, buy some stuff for yourself." She insists surprising me. "Are you sure mom?" I ask not knowing if it's a trick or not. "Yes honey just don't go too crazy." Smiling I hug her taking her card and leaving to head to the mall to meet Emily.

As I approach the mall parking lot I can slightly see Emily's figure waiting for me at the front door as I get closer. "Sam, hey!" She says waving her hand back and forth to get my attention. "Hey Em, where are we going first?" I ask her not really knowing what to do as I've never went shopping with a girl friend before. "Let's go to the clothing store first." She says as she takes my by the hand and drags me to said store.

Walking inside, I notice the racks of many pretty outfits and wonder why she thought I would find something here. "Hey Sam, look at this outfit. I think you'd look great in it." I hear Emily say as I look to see her holding up a simple outfit. Taking it from her hands I take it to the dressing room to try it on and once dressed I step outside to show Emily. "I was right you look fantastic!" She says clapping to herself at her accomplishment. "Honestly it looks like something I'd wear." I say timidly to her as I go to switch back into my normal clothes. I'm not much of a shopper, but I trust Em's judgement. 

After a couple of hours of just browsing not really seeing anything else I like I spot the food court as I turn to Emily. "Hey Em, how about we go get something eat at the food court before we look at couple more stores?" I ask her. I'm starving and if I'm gonna be walking around the rest of the day I want to do it on a full stomach. After nodding her head in agreement, we start to head to the food court as we buy our food and find a table to sit at. After a couple of bites Emily suddenly smirks at me and asks, "So what's going on with you and Alex?" She asks wiggling her eyebrows at me as if trying to suggest something. Blushing, I stare at my food avoiding eye contact as I respond. "Nothing. We're just friends." Again with that phrase. Why do I hurt every time I, or someone else, points it out? "Hmm I don't entirely believe you, but I'll let it go for now." She suddenly says making me look at her with a questioning look. "What do you mean?" I ask her going back to my food. "Come on Sam, I see how you two look at each other, why don't you admit you like him?" She asks me. Do I like Alex? Thinking hard I come to the conclusion that I just don't know. However I don't tell Emily this in case it turns out I don't seeing as she wants us to be together. "Because I just simply don't see him that way." I say lying to her. I mean obviously he's attractive but I can't see Alex liking me that way. Remembering what happened at the park yesterday I ask Emily, "So who's Dayton?" Silence falls between us as I notice Emily seemingly refuse to answer me. Nudging her with my elbow she faces me. "He's no one okay? Don't worry about it." She says with a slight smile to reassure me. Nodding I let the topic go. I'll find out eventually. Maybe Alex will tell me.

Not soon after we start heading away from the food court as Emily leads me to the next store. Halting in my tracks I look at the sign then to Emily in disbelief. Smirking she looks at me. "What?" She asks innocently. "Why are we standing in front of Victoria secret?" I ask her. "Because might as well get you a nice set for when you and Alex hook up." She says smiling suggestively. Blushing I start shaking my head at her words. "No Emily there will be no hooking up with Alex. He doesn't like me like that." I say quietly as she just gives me 'sure' look.

"Okay well if not with Alex, who by the way you have feelings for and who has feelings for you, then with someone eventually right? I mean you can't be single forever." She says while dragging me into the store. I can't help but think of her statement just now, would I get with Alex? Or anyone for that matter? I start to feel the familiar sting in my eyes as tears threaten to fall. 

As if noticing my sudden mode change, Emily turns to face me. "Oh, I didn't mean for it to come out the way it did you know?" She says softly. Giving her a smile I nod my head, "I know Em, it's not what you said it's just, would I met someone? Fall in love? Get married? Am I doomed to the single life?" I ask softly. Almost immediately, she throws her arms around me in a hug. "No Sam, I promise you'll find that love out there somewhere, even if it's not with Alex. You're a beautiful girl and so down to earth, anyone would be lucky to have you. However I'm rooting for you and Alex cause trust me girl, it will happen." She says as she pulls away making me laugh. 

The rest of the day went by in a blink of an eye and before I know it I'm at home going to bed after laying my moms card on the table we're she'll see it. As I lay sleepy, I can't help but think

Do I like Alex?